Manatee

This book isn't actually about manatees. Oh, sorry. Spoiler alert.

A race of cruel, merciless monsters has taken over Earth. It has been ruling Earth for nearly half a century now. Few humans remain.

Kona is a seventeen year-old girl. Her parents were killed on a death duty day when she was 13, and she's been on her own ever since. She's learned the ins and outs of Taranawa, a tiny city somewhere on land. On a death duty day, Kona's alone in her apartment room, and she sees a monster through her window. Instead of rushing up into the apartment and killing her immediately, the monster simply walks away. Kona lives easier now, a bit confident in the fact that the monsters are softening up. Oops. The next death duty day, she loses track of time, and isn't able to get to her apartment in time to evade the monster patrols, so she hides in a grocery store. The monster who spared her life finds her. Starting off awkwardly at first, the two become friends. The monster sees why humans aren't so bad, and Kona sees why monsters aren't so bad. But when Kona starts a rebellion, their friendship is tested. Will Turrquir join the humans, or abuse their trust?

eh.

sorry.

i suck at summaries.

but

there you go

it's a post-apocalyptic story.

may develop into a series.

if you're wandering why i named it manatee

it's becaused manatees are thought of as very peaceful and non-violent animals

the monsters sort of see the humans that way - weak, helpless, non-violent

but the humans turn out to be stronger than they could have ever imagined, especially with turrquir on their side.