Confessions

Nino rolls his eyes and Ohno makes no effort to call him out on it because he knows.

He knows that when Nino rolls his eyes, it always means two things; 1) is that Nino’s annoyed about something he did (or said, depends on the situation), or 2) is that Nino is already annoyed but is still trying hard not to show it.

Ohno wishes he knows which one is which, because it is during these times that he seldom trusts himself not to get annoyed in return; because an annoyed Nino usually ends up with Nino saying a bunch of mean things to provoke him, and Ohno thinks his current mood isn’t fit for him to be there, enough to swallow Nino’s forthcoming biting quirks.

He sighs, shoving his hands inside his pants’ pockets, leaning back heavily against the wall and stealing a glance over at Nino; Nino looks like he is seconds away from literally combusting and Ohno thinks, here we go.

“That look –“ Nino starts with a growl, the edges of his small mouth curls impatiently at the corners and Ohno blinks slowly, letting the initial prickle of annoyance sizzle warmly across the back of his neck. “you know how much I hate it when you look at me like that,” Nino finishes with a jab of his finger towards Ohno, his anger seeping through each word as he stares into Ohno’s eyes.

Ohno tries to look as passive as he could, a slow smile curving along the corners of his mouth as he watches Nino’s face crumples in clear annoyance, still as adorable as ever and Ohno’s heart flips unceremoniously inside his chest the way it always does when Nino’s so close like this he could almost taste him.

He smiles, slow and easy, and in that instant he knows that Nino knows what he’s thinking, and for once, he wishes he knew how to say the words without stumbling on them before Nino goes and stop him in the middle of talking.

Nino’s brows creases instantly, the tip of his pink tongue grazing his lower lip in that unconscious gesture and Ohno briefly wonders what Nino’s annoyance tastes like if only he could manage to get his lips on it the way he seldom does when he manages to catch Nino off guard.

Ohno makes a sound that is part-resigned, part-amused; shaking his head at the same time Nino crosses the distance between them and collars him matter-of-factly. He feels the shake of Nino’s body against him, the tremble of Nino’s breath when he looks up to stare at Nino’s too-bright eyes.

“Stop,” he mumbles, firm and soft and yearning, and he knows Nino hates him more then, more than he thinks he does before this; he lifts his hand and gently places it over the one that is still curled against his shirt, thumbing at Nino’s knuckles as Nino’s breathing breaks into shuddering little gasps.

It’s times like these when the only thing Ohno wants is to tell Nino how much he means to him, although he knows that it is impossible. Nino’s always been good at reading the air between them, the changes in his eyes that Nino knew well how to interpret, and running off before Ohno even find the brains to say what he’s been meaning to since that night he found Nino curled onto himself and sobbing quietly against the hollow of his own elbow.

“Why’d you do the things you do, when you know how much it confuses the fuck out of me?” Nino hisses, and his voice sounded like it doesn’t belong to him and Ohno suddenly wishes he knew all the answers. Instead, he shakes his head and leans forward, slowly, slowly, taking his time as he waits for Nino to take a step back the way he always does; but Nino manages to surprise him yet again, standing still and looking the least concerned that Ohno is leaning in for a kiss and Ohno’s brain simply melts as he closes his eyes, goes and dives in.

Ohno feels his smile bloom giddily without meaning to when his lips touches Nino’s, and Nino lets his shirt go in favor of wounding his trembling hands around the base of Ohno’s neck. Like this, Ohno could hear all the words Nino isn’t saying, moving his mouth over Nino’s and gasping when Nino tilts his head and opens up, letting Ohno’s tongue in with a wordless sigh.