Joshaya / I'm Not Too Young

(Maya is sixteen and Josh is nineteen)

It's been three months. Three months since Maya had seen Josh. And the nerves of finally seeing him again were eating her alive.

Maya stood in the living room along with Rliey, Auggie, Cory and Topanga as they all waited.

He would be here any minute..

"Rliey i don't think i can do-"
The door swung open before Maya could finish her sentence and she sucked in a breath when that familer head of brown hair popped through.

"Hey Family!"

"Uncle Josh!" Auggie and Riley screamed hugging him.

Maya had stepped closer when she stopped. Her smile completely fading.

Behind Josh stood a girl. The girl she saw on the subway with him that day when Riley and Lucas first kissed.

"Josh? Who this?" Topanga asked smiling at the girl who now gripped Josh's arm.

"This is my girlfriend-" that's all Maya had to hear. Tears pricked at her eyes, and she knew if she didn't get out of there she would risk breaking down infront of everyone.

Before Riley could turn to comfort her bestfriend, Maya had already ran out of sight and slammed the door to Riley's bedroom shut.

She pressed her back on the door and slid down as the tears fell.

She knew something like this would happen, she knew that he would find someone prettier, someone his age, someone in college.

She knew if she'd hoped for something she would just end up disappointed or crashed. And now here she was.

She waited two years for Josh, she thought that when she got older, he wouldn't see her as sush a little girl anymore, that he would give them a chance. But she was wrong.

She felt so stupid. She should have never let herself hope.

************

Finally when her tears had stopped, Maya stood up. She wondered why Rliey didn't come after her but she had others things to worry about.

She tired to make herself look personable and fix her hair and smudged makeup, but what ever she did she knew the Matthews would see right through it, she just hoped Josh wouldn't.

But then again, hope was for suckers.

Maya took a deep breath before walking out. Riley was immediately by her side.

"Maya, you ok?"

"Yeah, totally." Maya forced a smile as Riley locked arms with her. Just then Maya catch a glimpse of Josh at the coner of her eye.

"Hey Maya." Josh's voice sounded so Husky when her name rolled off his tongue.

She smiled wider, "hey Josh, it's great to see you,"

"Likewise." he pulled her into a hug, Maya breathing hitched and she noticed his heart was beating rapidly.

After they pulled away, the whole family sat down and watched a movie, the whole time Maya couldn't keep from looking at Josh, she felt tears prick at her eyes again as she watched him and that girl snuggle into each other's arms, gigging and smiling.

"Maya could you get some more popcorn?" Riley asked. Maya nodded and silently thanked her bestfriend for the excuse to get up and leave.

Maya leaned against the sink as she waited for the popcorn to be ready. She was so deep in her thoughts that she hadn't notice someone beside her.