Chapter I

The air is chilled when I rub the sleep from my eyes so I pull the covers further up my body encasing all the warmth. As I lay my pale limbs sprawl across my bed every breath and as I exhale a cloud of smoke rises towards the slightly chipped ceiling paint before disappearing, I slowly regret leaving the window open last night when it was too stuffy to sleep. I listen out for the shrill of my alarm but all that greets me is the eerieness of silence in my minuscule apartment. I'm unsure whether to be glad or not?

I must've woken up before my alarm again. I pull my upper body off the bed, up to check the time 7:40, I sigh and restlessly fall back against the sheets. Reaching in the direction of my bed side table I flap about for my phone. I check social media and reply to Violets text about the wild night herself and Molly are planning for this weekend, and to my sister about the dinner tonight- that I have no choice in attending because my mother says it mandatory.

I mournfully drag myself towards the bathroom carrying out the usual routine. Brush teeth, wash face, shower, shave legs and armpits and dry before dressing in the usual attire of black skinny jeans and a plain white t-shirt ready for work.

The hunt for my blow dryer which is not where is usually is soon becomes tedious and I'm going to be late.

Ah! It fell behind the dressing table. In a rush I dry and loosely curl my brunette hair pulling it into a ponytail and apply winged eyeliner and mascara to accentuate my blue eyes. And now I can't find my house keys. I find my jacket and brown shoulder bag, pulling on my worn out and muddy white converse. Finding my keys in the bowl I rejoice while power walking to work.

The pavement is icy and my shoes aren't up for the challenge at this untimely hour; I nearly slip over a handful of times in my rushed and clumsy state but I proceed on my well known route, not knowing whether the boss is in today and would scrutinise me for being late.

I stumble through the same park I always do but I somehow like it more in the colder seasons and seem to appreciate and take in the scenery. Everything looks simpler. The grass blades are frosted like the tip of a snowy mountain and the warmly coloured leaves are fallen down to the ground making room for conkers and pine cones to grow ready for Christmas. There's couples walking admiring the same scenery I do. The twinkly lights cascading along the black iron fence and wrapped around trees. A shiver brings me back to reality and I check the time, picking up the pace ending my day dreaming.

I'm only a short distance away and spot Adam leant against the chipped brown door frame of the Nook Café looking sullen and shivering despite his warmer attire. His blonde hair is combed back a beanie covering his ears, hands snug in the pockets of his coat and neck adorned by a thick woollen scarf. I wish i'd brought a thicker jacket and warmer clothes now I think of it. He looks up grinning expectantly. He's forgotten his keys. I held up mine so they make a jingling sound, I stick my tongue out and meet him at the door.

"Morning early bird" he grins as I fit the key into the lock clicking it open.

"Me, early bird? No chance"I tie an apron around my hips flicking on the lights and coffee machines- the room temperature instantly warms as the heating kicks in noisily and I rub my hands together. Adam lifts the chairs off the tables and plumps the cushions in the reading booths ready for the bustling crowds of a Thursday.

"Strap yourself in Blake, it's going to be a busy one" Adam gives a salute and I return with a thumbs up. I cannot wait until 8 o'clock comes around.
--
The boss turned up at around lunch time and to my dismay and stands behind the counter watching with his beady eyes at the countless stream of people enter and leave the café for a an hour or so before telling us we're doing a good job in his monotone voice and leaves for a business meeting.