Sarcastic Applejack

It had been a beautiful day. The sun was setting in the sky, painting the previously vast blueness a luxurious crimson, violet, and gold. The birds silently fluttered into their nests. The Cutie Mark Crusaders we're just returning from school, and as the three fillies sang and played about, there was an awkward and eerie touch to the cooling air.

Applejack, whom was feeling rather exhausted from chores, rested beside a white picket fence. The soft grass brushed and tickled against her fur, which was moist with fresh sweat. Luckily, the sunset brought a nice breeze along, rustling the plants and cooling off the fatigued mare.

And yet, even on a seemingly perfect day, something would go horribly wrong.

The orange cowpony glanced over at her brother, whom leaned against the barn doors. His orange mane whisked in the light gusts, which were gradually gaining intensity. The stallion, despite the heat, remained wearing his heavy, smooth leather yoke.

She allowed her eyes to slowly drift shut as she heard the barn door swing close. Big Macintosh had left to finish cleaning up the barn and to organize some harvesting tools. Applejack always thought her brother overworked himself, but when she brought it to his attention he would disagree and wave her off like a tiny flea.

Applejack's thoughts slowly grew softer and quieter and eventually the black void of sleep swallowed her whole. The pony felt her body grow limp and numb. A cool, refreshing breeze pulled her into a comfortable slumber that swayed her busy mind and exhausted body.

AJ was a heavy sleeper, or at least, Granny Smith said so. Once, a hurricane bellowed powerful roars across the prosperous farm. They all crowded into the cellar for the long, dangerous night. Who slept the entire time? - a little filly named Applejack, of course!

"That darn filly can snooze through anythin', that youngin'!" Granny Smith would say.

A crackling sound reverberated across the sky after a powerful strike of lightning, startling the farm pony. Wind swirled and light chunks of an icy substance began to descend from above. Startlingly cold rain fell rapidly from the clouded sky.

"What in tarnation?"

The confused mare groggily stood up and tilted her head to face the sky, examing the clouds. She had only slept for about forty minutes. Bewildered, she turned and galloped to the barn, fresh mud clinging to her hooves. As she approached the barn door in a rush, the muscular red stallion was dashing out, nearly running her over.

The floorboards creaked under his powerful, heavy build. Applejack gave Big Macintosh "the look" and he returned his surprisingly frantic gaze. AJ turned on her heels and dashed in the opposite direction with the muscular stallion at her side.

Their Granny had told them stories about the outcome of weather like this and how she survived it as a filly, but Applejack had never seen it herself. This weather could only mean one thing - a twister. Granny Smith had told them hail, rain, and powerful winds were signs. This tempest fit the criteria for sure.

Big Macintosh must have been thinking the same thing.