"Monster?"

I listened to the soft clicking of the spoon as I stirred. My eyes trained on the flowing liquid. The idea of constantly moving...but going nowhere. Just repeating over and over...troubled me softly. I always wondered how some people could break this torturous cycle.

I stopped stirring, watching the tea slowly come to its end. I slowly placed the burning spoon in my mouth. I closed my eyes as I shut my mouth. Slowly pulling the spoon out, trapping the hot tea in my mouth. I swallowed the small batch and threw the spoon in the sink.

I took a breath through my mouth, the steam from the mug slowly began touching my face. I picked the scorching cup up by its cold handle. I turned, holding the tea out in front of me. My eyes rolled over the small room. The house was open, except for my room. My eyes stopped in the hall that lead to said room.

A red carpet, didn't match anything in the black and gray house, stood out like a zit on a teenager. I slowly headed towards the hall. My footsteps the only sound throughout the house. I bent down and flipped the rug to the side. There lay a wooden door. I lifted the handle and, with a few grunts, lifted the screechy door.

The dark stairway beckoned for me to want the blackness. I stood back up and descended into the darkness. Running my hand on the harsh stones. I stared ahead at my own feet. I sipped the slowly cooling liquid as my fingers traced the stones. I took a deep breath and felt up the wall beside me, flipping a switch. The dim light buzzed to life.

Breathing, not mine, but deep heavy breathing filled the cold room. I forced my eyes up to the metal door. A small window, blocked by three bars, sent out a feeling of dread and death. My body froze, the tea motionless other than the steam. I took one step, then another. I kept my eyes trained on the door. Before my mind could register where I was, my hand was already grabbing the handle.

I balanced myself on my feet, my chin slightly touching one of the bars. "Monster?" I whispered softly...