Windows

Windows

By: Syd Brekke

They say love is blind but mine is different. It all started when we were little. It was always Zac and Kate, Kate and Zac. No one else. Every day we would go outside and play. Draw chalk, have water balloon fights, and jump on my trampoline. Then mom would make pizza while we built our fort for the night and picked out a movie. Kate's house was right next door so before we went to bed we would write back and forth to each other on a white board through the windows.

=

Tomorrow we are jump roping in gym class at school. Kate and me are the best jump ropers ever! I'm super excited. I hop into bed and fall asleep just like that.

Zac! I hear a scream. I get up and I smell smoke I look over at the bright light coming in through my window. It was at Kate's house she was screaming. She was banging on the window and throwing things to try to break it. She wasn't strong enough to push it up. I grab the phone and called 911,

"911 what's your emergency?"

"There's a fire! She's stuck in the house. Help me!"

"Calm down. I can help you. Now where......"

"....No! She's gone!"

I threw the phone on the ground and rushed outside to her window. I climbed up and tried to get it open but I wasn't strong enough either. I see Kate laying on the ground unconscious with her teddy bear in her hand. The fire is surrounding her.

"Kate! Kate! Wake up! Please." I start crying. Someone comes behind me and grabs me another person busts open the window. They carry her out leaving the teddy bear burn in the fire. I run to her screaming. "Kate wake up, please. Don't leave me. Please don't leave me."

My mom comes out of the house and runs to Kate's mom who was burnt very badly. Her mom is gasping for air as they pull her out of the house she is all burnt up. Bleeding from her face, no skin visible. She is crying she takes off the mask they put on her to help her breath.

"Where's Kate?" in a raspy voice

"She is in the ambulance." My mom was telling her

"Take care of her please"

"I will I promise!"

They load up Kate's mom into the ambulance. The paramedics go over to my mom and tell her something. My mom falls to her knees and starts crying.

They were getting ready to take Kate away too. I haven't left her side at this point since they pulled her out of the house. The man tells me that I have to let go so the doctor can help her. I kissed her forehead and then they put her in the truck. I watched it leave with the lights flashing through in the darkness.

=

After they cleared the house of any fire that may still be active they gave me and my mom permission to go in and start fixing it up. It kept us busy for a week and then I finally got to go see Kate.

We walk into the hospital and I see a long hallway that looks so white I was afraid to drop my juice box or touch anything with my sticky hands.

We get to room 106, my mom tells me to stay in the hallway until she comes out to get me.

I jump on the chair and sit staring into the room. I see Kate through the window or what I think is her. She has white stuff wrapped all along her arms and on her head. She starts saying something but then stops. I see tears coming from Kate's eyes. My mom kisses her on the forehead and makes a heart on her chest and points to her. Kate smiles and gives my mom a hug. My mom comes out of the room and kneels down in front of me.