The Adventure of the Crow

Chapter one

Beep beep beep, I pull myself out of bed as his alarm goes off, its six o’clock he walks into the kitchen where Piper is already fixing breakfast.

“Hey Pipe” I say still half asleep.

“Morning fletch, how did you sleep?” Piper asks

“Pretty well actually. Carla up yet?”

“Nah, I didn’t want to bother her so early.”

I walk down the hallway to see Carla curled up in a tight ball in the middle of the bed she and Piper share. I walk over and sits down on the edge of the small bed, grey light pours into the small window the bed creaks as his weight is forced onto it.

“Time to get up boo” I whisper whispers rubbing her back. 

“Mmmm”

“Come on Carls, Pipe has breakfast ready”

At that the small sleeping ball pops up with excitement, I chuckle as Carla skips down the hallway toward the kitchen. The house is small, three bedrooms and one bath the floors creak when you walk and it smells of mildew but its enough for the four of them. No one bothers to wake up their dad they know he needs his sleep, the smell of pancakes have filled the air and it causes Fletchers mouth to water. Piper has always been a good cook, she was just born with a gift she got it from their mom who they haven’t seen in three years. Emma, our mother, was kidnapped three years ago on October 3rd, everyone believes she is dead except us, her kids. We believe that our mothers kidnapper still holds her and is waiting for someone to come to her rescue. I have been waiting for the right moment to take Piper and Carla to search for our mother, everyday I ask myself, Is today the day? I knew the day would probably never come, our dad would always be sick and he knew he couldn’t take Carla. Just imagine a six year old walking down the highway looking for her “dead” mother. By the time I made it to the kitchen Piper was already working on a second batch of pancakes.

“Wow, Carls you that hungry ?” I ask surprised

“She is like a freaking bottomless pit!!” Piper says clearly upset she has to cook even more.

“Fletcher where is daddy?” Carla asks in that sweet little voice of hers.

“He’s fine Carla just tired.” I say in a now aggravated voice, it isn’t that I am mad at Carla I just have a bad time talking about Dad’s depression.

She looks and me with her smiling blue eyes, it just to hard to stay mad at her for more then a few minutes. Carla walks over to me and throws her tiny arms up in the air, knowing what she wants I pick her up and spin her around making her infectious giggle escape her mouth. We finish breakfast and it is time for our day to begin, I have decided to take Carla to our grandmothers and Piper and I will go out and buy some groceries. We drive up to the small white house with neat blue shutters, Carla jumps out and scampers up to the door and is let in as Piper and I drive away. The car ride was silent we had the radio on quietly and Piper stared out the window at the passing stores, we pull into the parking lot and grab our money and food list but before we even have time to get out of the car our doors are pulled open and we are yanked out of our seats. The gigantic man put his large hand across my mouth and drags me away from the car, I can see another man doing the same to Piper. They shove us in the back of a big white van and slam the huge doors before we have a chance to run, the men climb in the front and Piper and I look at each other confused.