Bright Darkness

Prologue

"Without Light, there can be no Darkness. WIthout Darkness, there can be no Light."

Is there really nothing else for me in this world? Nothing for me to hold onto? My childhood, if you could call it that, was cold and dark. I barely remember anything. The only warmth I had was my mother. I still remember the carefree days that I spent playing around in the garden, with freedom beckoning, and butterflies flying around my head. How innocent I was back then. But of course, all good things must come to an end. I still remember it, though it's hazy with age. I was 5 at the time, and of course, I had not known that there was a war going on. My mom and I had led a peaceful life, because our father was a soldier, and a soldier's family was granted a house in the country, far, far away from the front lines, or so we had thought. Sometimes, he came home, but never stayed longer than 3 hours. I didn't really know him that well, but whenever I asked Mom about him, she would become lost in her own world. That fateful day, I had been out picking strawberries, and when I returned home, I saw that my father had come home, and his normally white shirt, was blood-red. Mom was clinging on to him, weeping. I saw our village, our hometown, in flames, and I could hear the distant cries of men and flashing swords. My mom looked at me with tearful eyes, and I at once noticed that there were several men standing behind me. They looked at me reproachfully, and I scrambled back, to hide behind my mom. But she said, "Shhhhhh, it's going to be okay. Hug your father one last time." In my tiny little toddler's head, it somehow registered that this was important, and so I hugged him hard, and my father smiled at me. And somehow, though I never remember his face, I always remembered that smile, weak and strained, yet full of life. He said, "Wear this necklace always, okay?" I wondered what he was talking about,as I had no necklace, and then, suddenly, the entire world flashed bright white. After that, my mom was crying on the ground next to a pile of white ashes, my entire hometown, or village, on fire, those men draggin me by the arms to a carriage, and a new necklace was on my neck. I did not know it then, with tears streaming down my face and struggling to break free, but I had just been drafted into the military. At age 5. Little did I know, that the next 10 years would be the hardest years of my life, and that I would never see my mom, or dad, ever again.

This is my first story on Wattpad, so I don't know if this is long enough. If any of you read this, can you please comment some advice about what I should do, and if I should continue this story. Thank you very much for reading this.