Live

"Maria!"

Glass shattering could be heard from outside along with the constant barking of the dogs in the distance.

"Get in here!"

I turn away from the cold winter breeze to head inside. I was greeted with the strong smell of booze and garbage. I made my way to the person that was wreaking havoc in the living room.

"What took you so damn long!"

"Sor-"

"Enough with the excuses, just get me another pack." My gaze lingered on the empty beer cans everywhere as I left to go fetch some more. At least he's not drunk.

"Here." Without a word Ruben snatches the it from my hands. My attention changes when I hear noises in the laundryroom.

"Emilio!" I shout when I see my little brother in cleaning supplies. He stares at me a bit startled from my volume. I quickly pick him up from the cabinet, the baby lock was nowhere to be found. My blood started to boil Ruben's carelessness, I calmed myself with a moment of silence. I look at Emilio who was on the verge of tears.

I sway to calm him down, "Shh, it's ok. Why don't you tell my why you were in there with that stuff?"

"Are you mad at me?"

"I could never be mad at you! I just need to know why you were in there with that stuff, okay."

He nods, "I was hungry and daddy yelled at me when I asked." I can tell that he was really hurt. Ruben can't treat him like that, he's just 3! I glare at Ruben who's mindlessly watching TV. I wish I could leave, but... I look at Emilio. What about him?

It's best not to, especially now.

"I'll make you something, ok?"

I walk to the kitchen and think to myself how hard it's been to keep Emilio safe and me sane since Amelia left...

3 months ago my big sister Amelia left...

It was September 27th, a week after her 17th birthday. Ruben and Luisa decided to feed Emilio a ridiculous amount of sugar because any other food was too inconvenient before then they went out. I had been watching Emilio for a while because Amelia had work today, and her shift dragged out longer than usual. My turn was almost over, but I planned to watch him for an extra hour so she could sleep. He looked like he was about to pass out anyways and I know how hard Amelia works in order to get us little things here and there. She always tried her best to be the best big sister she could be under such circumstances as having a messed up father, step-mother and a mother that didn't even second guess her decision on walking out on us when we were 5 and 9. I don't blame her. I mean, who would want to stay with a man like Ruben at 25.

It was almost 5am, Emilio had finally toppled over. I fixed the house up a bit before taking a shower. Just as I was about to enter our room I heard a sound come from the living room near the front door. I steadily walk there just in case it was a burglar.

"Amelia?" A bit startled she slowly moved to an upright position. That's when I noticed that she had her coat and shoes on. She also had two highly stuffed bags in her hands. "Where are you going?" Hurt was evident in my voice because I knew.

"Maria-"

"No! This isn't fair!" I could feel my anger rise as my eyes watered "What about Emilio! What about me?" my voice started to die down as soon as I felt the tears roll down my face. My head hung down as I tried to contain the feelings of frustration, sadness... betrayal. "Please don't leave me."