Racing

It's like I'm in a long race. We start together and push each other to be better and keep going. As the race goes on I start to fall behind and he starts to go faster and faster. He doesn't hear my cries for help or even notice that I'm behind. There are his friends up ahead and that's what matters. Once he finally catches up to them he looks so happy. I can't make him look back at me all alone. I push myself to be up there, to prove to him that I can do it. I finally reach them but someone trips me. I fall to the ground and cry out. He finally notices. I'm so happy at that moment. He picks me up and we run, but he's forgotten that I'm hurt. He goes faster to catch up, leaving me in his shadow. I don't call out. I don't say his name. I just run. I'm going as hard as I can, but  I never seem to be able to reach him. Slowly they dispear into the distance. They are out of sight. There is a tee in the road and I have two options. One will take me to him and the other will take me away.  I chose left. As the road goes on and on I soon realize I was wrong. I start sprinting faster and faster, but there is no way he is here. Turning around seems almost pointless now. They could be miles off, but I must try. Going faster and more frantic then before. It feels like flying through the air.  I must reach him. I must reach him.   I chant to myself almost as a war cry. After what seems like forever I see them. It's a mirical. I can't believe my eyes. This propells me forward for the last mile I have left. I yell his name only feet behind him, and everyone turns to look. "took you long enought" "Why can't you do better" "You should have been here hours ago". They all critize me and he only watches with a small smile. "It's nice to see you again." I've used up all my energy trying to catch up and I can't keep going. I can't take another step as they race on. I just need to give up. To turn around and go home. They won't wait for me. He won't notice if I'm gone. They leave me all alone.