Chapter 1; Prologue

Afraid. No, terrified. Shaken.

Her heart was pounding against her ribcage as Alexander's grip tightened around her wrist. Their panting was loud as they sprinted helplessly towards civilization.

Elisa and Ella Miles, their parents, had been taken hostage only moments ago. They had shouted for the children to run; hide. And that's what they were doing. Except, they were being pursued.

The heavy footfalls of the monsters behind them thundered in the siblings ears.

"Alex," Vanessa whimpered, barely choking the words out. Her throat was raw. The air was fire to her lungs as they ran. "I... I ca-can't run... any-anymore."

Alexander stopped abruptly and turned to her. His ten-year-old eyes full of panic and dread. He glanced to her dark eyes before behind her. She turned and saw their pursuers. Ice flooded her veins and before she knew anything, she was scooped into her brother's arms as he took off again.

She was thrown over his shoulder and she watched as they got closer. His weariness was going to be the death of him.

A branch swung back after Alex pushed it and hit her right in the eye. She cried out as it watered, and gripped Alex's shirt in her left hand, and her right, covering her injured eyes. Blood started to seep from between her fingers.

He kept dodging and weaving expertly through the bushes and soon, the lights of the city came into view. He almost cried out in relief. But the chase wasn't over yet, Alex noted, his attitude swiftly turning sour. He needed to look after Vanessa.

"Get Vanessa to safety," his father's panicked voice echoed in his brain, itching at him to do something that would crush her. "Do anything you need to, to protect that girl. It's what older brother's do."

He glanced back and swiftly ducked into a dark, musty cave. He placed Vanessa back on the ground and saw the blood seeping through her fingers. Thinking on the spot, he ripped a piece of his shirt off, just enough to wrap around her head and eye like a pirate patch, and slowed the heavy bleeding.

He didn't have enough time.

Pulling out his phone, Alex went to his speed dial and clicked on Bobby's name. He had to get him to come for her.

It rang three times before there was an answer.

"Hello?"  Came the reply from the elder hunter.

"Its Alexander Miles," he said quickly, glancing around as Vanessa began to pull at his shirt, looking at him with her good eye. "I need a huge favour Mr. Singer."

"Alex? What's going on? Where are your parents?"

Alex swallowed thickly. "They've been captured, but I don't have time for this. I need you to come get my-" the sounds of the monsters were getting closer making a brash descion, he let the phone hit the floor and quickly pulled his six-year-old sister in for a tight, final embrace and kissed her swiftly on the forehead. "I love you, Vanessa. Never forget that."

"Alex?" She asked, her breathing speeding up rapidly.

He wiped away a stray tear off his face and smiled brokenly at her. Before she could react, he had pushed himself out of the cave and into sight. "Hey! Over here!" He waved his arms, before nodding to himself, sealing his death, and sprinting away from the cave where Vanessa hid.

"Alex!" She shrieked, before covering her mouth in horror and falling silent.

The footfalls of the beasts slowly died off, along with her brother's shouting voice leading them away, and she peeked out seeing nothing but the darkness and the swaying of trees in the breeze. Tears blurred her vision when she realized what had just happened.