When You're Not Alone

• Dedicated to Afa Naeem

The forest stood silent and a soft wind was making the leaves rustle against each other but the silence was just something which couldn’t be ignored. The full moon was hidden behind the thick curtains of gray, dull clouds. People who lived around here used to call this time of the night the ungodly hour, so nobody was creeping out of bed or anything, they all found this time of the night inconsequential, but all trivialities matter to those who are unlike all the others and so were the two people who were waiting for the right moment for everything to do.

He stood right in front of her, he wasn’t a human or something, and he was one of the People from The Trees. His blonde hair and his green clothing was the only thing she could clearly make out in the dark. It was hard to see anything at all, she only feared the ferocious beasts which could be found anywhere here, but somehow when she knew he was here nothing could go wrong except only she wanted to ignore the fact that he wanted to feast on her.

His name was Gareth. Life was not easy for him. He lived in the world which connected the Universe of the humans to the Universe where he lived. So he had to live in hiding. He had no choice, after the war his father died away along his mother and his baby sister was lost until she was forced to live with the Unknown. He was left all alone, but during his prayers God assured him he is not alone. And he only had to figure out who it was waiting for him, like he was, alone and ruined.

She was a princess, not likely anymore because after the war everything was destroyed and all her family dead, but she had royal blood. She could remember it all clearly, the excruciating memory which was, the way her castle was attacked by the Unknown. Her father the King was trying so hard to protect their land of the People from The Trees. But the Unknown outnumbered their army and fired the whole land. The last she saw was her mother burning in the fire and the soldiers taking her away. She ran away from it all, and now she didn’t know where she was. A new world, a new place. She escaped and here she was in a land she never saw before, and it was better, she thought, to live hiding than to serve the Unknown forever. Her blonde hair was long, waving down to her back, her eyes so pretty, that most beautiful blue. She was all alone until the birds led her here.

“Why didn’t you come when I asked you to?” he asked the princess while tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear.

“I was … Lost.” She lied, which he figured out.

He sighed and moved closer to her. She knew what he was going to do. It was like this for him, he found a new desire and it was so hard to resist. He moved so close to her, and she was trying hard not to show he was taking her breath away.

“Don’t you now…” he wanted to say something but stopped as he spotted blood on her hand. Even when it was dark his eyes could see the scarlet blood, pouring out of a big large cut across her left arm and he studied the wound.

“You were attacked?”

“No I fell down … my arm got cut and …”

“Stop lying to me like this” he didn’t let her finish.

She wanted to step away but she was so scared of him, her feet were rooted to the ground.

“Gareth I …” she begin but couldn’t. A lump formed in her throat and she broke into tears. The princess was all of a sudden broken. All the bad times came to her and here she was breaking down. Her heart throbbed with all the pain, agony spread all over her and she wanted to die.

Gareth saw her reacting like this for the first time. He knew her so well, he knew when she was lying, he knew whatever she felt but tears, … he never saw them in her eyes before. Maybe all her strength gave up today, the fragile princess was finally starting to show up.