Beauty at the Beach

Usually, the seaside is my favourite place to be. There's just something about the sound of splashing water, the faint smell of seaweed, and the warm air which always calms me down.

On that day, however, it did not manage to mollify me.

The screams of the seagulls were making my head ache and hot tears were rolling down my cheeks.

That's when I saw her. She had a vacant look in her pale blue eyes and her head was tilted towards the right.

She was grinning from ear to ear, her frizzy hair falling on her face, and she had a spring in her step.

A soft, childish laugh had escaped from her lips and I had felt like my head would never ache again.

The freckles on her face looked like stars in a galaxy, and her broad, slightly flat nose looked like the moon.

There was sea and sand and sky all around, but to me she was the most exquisite piece of nature in the world.

She looked as joyous as a blind person who had just regained sight.

Ironically, later on I discovered that she was, in fact, visually impaired.

Despite that, she lived her life to the fullest and was one of the happiest people I knew.

She never did regain her sight, or get to see the beauty of the sea and the sand, but she did see the beauty of her life, and became the beauty of mine.