Chapter 1-Attitude

It started with a party. Doesn't it always?

'' So...Your going right?’' Jake asked me. I swallowed a bite of my pizza, took a sip of my Earl Grey tea, and answered coolly.'' Party's aren’t really my thing''He sighed turning to my other friends at our usual lunch table. They all  gave him a sympathetic look, knowing exactly how he was feeling. I always did this to them the whole I don't really give a fuck thing.'' Look's like Jess is in her mood again'' Maggie said as she rolled her eyes. I flicked a piece of my leftover crust at her arm. She made a noise of disgust. Out of all my friends I was the one that hung back a bit from the crowd, the one that listened to heavy metal and liked to watch horror movies''Come on!,it's like the party of the century''.

I honestly don’t get what this is all about…’’it’s just another house part with crappy music that has no rhythm” Big whoop. I’ve been to one of those I responded.

Everyone, except me sighed in unison.

“Babe,” Jake started tuning on the charm.” We haven’t gone out in weeks. It’ll be fun. It’s Friday for god’s sake! I think some time away from babysitting your little sister will do you some good”.

I cringed, but nobody caught it. It was rare for me to be out on the weekend, much less. With mom working two jobs, I cared for Lizzy, my younger sister. Mom and I took turns playing “Parent” for Lizzy, which I didn’t really mind. Other than the fact that my social life was in deep hibernation, and haven’t woken up from its slumber in over 3 years.

I mashed my lips together,finally breaking. I'll text my mom.

They all cheered,and Jake gave me a quick peck on the cheek.I gave my boyfriend  a teasing glare,but he shruged it off.Jake knew I wasn't a fan of social gatherings.It looked like i'd just have to deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard the car horn from my room.Quickly straightening my long light brown hair,checking my mascara,and soothing out my casual-yet-classy dress,I scooted out of my room,down the stairs,and headed for the front door.

"Bye Crystal!" Lizzy called from the living room.

I turned and blew her a kiss.Icarly was playing on the tv,her favorite tv show.The dinner that i'd prepare for her earlier sat untouched on the coffee table,and she had what appeared chocolate syrup on her face.

"I'll see you tomorrow Liz" I yelled on my way out."Have fun with mom!".

Amazingly,mom had agreed to take a day from work to give me my life back for a night.I hadn't seen her,but she was probably sleeping back in her room.Typical.

I scampered through my front yard,the cool summer breeze tickling my bare skin and the darkness of the night half-blinding me.It took a bit to find out Johns hand-me-down minivan,which had been his moms.I slid inside,and immediately was blasted with bad techno music, the smell of parfume and colone intermixing almost made me gag.

"Glad you made it!" Alex called from the passenger seat.

John peeled out of my driveway and we shot down my sleepy street.He swerved to the left and I slammed into Jake,who slammed into Maggie.We all shout complaints from the back,but he just ignored us.Alex burst out laughing.After all John was the all-time worst driver.....even worst then me.

"Can we please change the station?this song is like, 20 minutes long"Maggie griped.

"Quiet backseat driver!" John replied.

Maggie tried to explain that in order for her to be a backseat driver,she would've had to correct his driving,but john just ignored her.The to of the always seemed to be arguing.

"Crystal" Jake said my name, "what are u thinking about?"

What was I thinking about?It was nothing interesting enough to tell him. I wonder what Jake wanted me to reply with.Maybe a "I'm just happy to be with you",or a " I'm just worried about Lizzy and my mom", or "I wa thinking of hooking up with you at the party.You down?". Would he want me to filter my thoughts,or tell it to him straight? Why did I have to over analyze every question Jake threw at me.

" Just you," I decided,giving a smile.

He kissed me,then I kissed him back.

Jake and Crystal.Crystal and Jake: The couple that had been together since preschool,although it was really just sixth grade. Now we were in our junior year of high school,still,Jake was this godlike creature that had been so generous to grace me,a lower life form, with his presence and affection.He was the perfect student,perfect athlete,and perfect boyfriend.Me? I was a B-C student, i didn't partake in exercise, and was a pretty bad girlfriend. I didn't enjoy talking on the phone or cuddling .

So.. If your wondering why this guy hadn't dumped me yet,I'm right there with you.

"Yo lovebirds!" Alex shouted, snapping us out of our thoughts."we're here".

I stepped out of the car with the rest of my friends. I sighed hoping to get this over with.Was I a party pooper? I hope so.

We didn't even bother knocking.it's not like anyone would've answered.In went Alex,then John followed by Maggie,Jake, then me.

 Girls with innapropriate clothes, and shirtless guys were scampered all over the place,sipping out of there cups.We crept in the hallway until we squeezed out into the kitchen.By now Alex and Maggie were flirting with people.Jake lingered next to me,but I noticed he was itching to go find his other friends.

"Jake,go find your friends" I assured him."I cant leave you here crystal" He replied. " you might get hit on by some douche ".I laughed " Ya right, just go i'll be fine".

Jake didn't wait long.He was out of my sight in about 5 seconds.I sighed, realizing I was alone now.But I liked being alone.I walked over to the sketchy punch bowl,grabbing a cup,filled it ,and took a drink.It stung when it went down leaving a nasty burn in my mouth. But I took another chug,letting it burn my throat.It was a nice burn.

"Take it easy girl" John said,eyeing my drink. " I'm pretty sure theres only one percent of actual punch in there"