Prologue: The Dark Opus

Hey there, Cynthia here :) So, umm, here's a story I've been working on and, I warn you, this is a genre I've never actually worked on before so the effect might not be especially... as thrilling and as eerie as I want it to be. SO bear with me, and don't be afraid to criticise me because, obviously, I need it -don't be afraid to be mean, 'cause I can take it. Actually, I dare you to faze me :)

Anyway, here's something I think you should know before you begin. An Opus is a piece of art -literary, musical or visual -and that means that a Magnum Opus is a writer's or a composer's greatest achievement. I think this will come in handy... eventually :)

__________________________________________________________

 The Opus Cafe is currently situated at the edge of society.

This means that if, by chance, you happen to walk by it on one random day, you’re very unlikely to notice it. Maybe, if you’re extremely lucky, you’ll notice an old building leaning poignantly against it’s neighbouring structures. Maybe, though quite improbable, you’ll notice how it’s large windows are tinted, as though hiding a secret, and how it’s heavy, glass doors have a dusty curtain behind them –one that hasn’t been pushed aside since it was hung there several years ago, when the Opus was named. Maybe the mystery of the peeling red and black paint on the Opus’ walls would capture your interest, and then you’ll see the way faint scribbles appear every time the sun catches your eye. Maybe –though there is an almost perfect chance this won’t happen –you’ll notice the air of obscure romance that envelopes you suddenly as you begin to move closer to those glassy doors.

Maybe you’ll get curious. Maybe you’ll pull yourself out of the fake, shimmery mainstream and enter that dreamy state of mind that captures you instantly, as you take hold of the desolate door handles. Probably... the doors won’t open. Societal noises might flow back painfully, causing you to crash back into the real world.

For the Opus Cafe is currently situated at the edge of reality.

Three years ago, maybe, the doors would open. Then again, I doubt you’d even dare to think of approaching the Opus...