Hasty Piano Keys (short story)

Written in english. This was published in our university's literary folio. This story is inspired by the movie, "Secret"

------------ =)

The clock rings nine in the morning. The sun elicits upbeat rhythm from whatever its rays touch. This perfect day for me to make a new composition has arrived, but my fingers stiffen when I force them down onto keys. The spirit is willing but the flesh is feeble. This wouldn’t go anywhere.

In frustration, I pushed down the cover of our antique grand piano.

It’s been years since I wrote music rooted from my earnest compassion. I titled the piece “If my eyes could remember the scene”. It was a song for my mom.

I see mama playing the piano so I approach her to ask with sweetest smile. “Can I join you, Mama?”

“Of course you can my princess.  Would you like to play with me Mozart’s Sonata?” she asks.

“Yes Mama and the one we always play together, The Swan,” I answer.

“After the Blue Danube by Strauss?” Mama says happily and we laugh as we begin playing the keys.

“Miss Kaila! Wake up. You have your head in the clouds again.” I found myself forcing to widen my eyes as Yaya Waning pats my hair then my shoulders when it dawned on me in the piano room of our house. I still marvel why the house seems so soundless. So lifeless.

Papa is the president and the owner of Jenosol Conglomerate, a multinational company while Mama Sandra came from an elite family of music enthusiasts. I am the only fruit of their beautiful love tale. With this, I live like a princess and soon I will become heiress to everything that they have now. There is nothing more to ask.

“Do I look sick, Yaya Waning? Until when will I be like this?” I ask her with pleading eyes.

“Dear, don’t force yourself too much,” she said before I entered the room of my piano class.

My instructors said I am on top if the class. They told me I produce tunes much like my Mom when playing the piano.

“What is this girl doing here? She still has the guts to attend this subject despite of her inabilities? Maybe she’s here just to show off once again, bragging all her family’s wealth. How is being an unica hija of a very well to do family? Isn’t it nice to have all of our professors’ attention? Unfortunately, her money could not conceal the so-called piano prodigy is a piano key failure hahaha!” Again, I have to hear those hurtful words. For consecutive years, I have to bear being ridiculed by the people around me.

My body then starts to tremble. I can’t move even an inch. Suddenly tears fell down as my chest could no longer stand the deep sorrow and drench myself in fears.