THE CROSSING SEQUEL

Manny was running, running across the shallow Rio Grande, he kept running until he got to the broken fence. He slid through a broken part and kept running in the dark. The desert was hot, and that did not help him. Manny reached to the pocket of his baggy pants to make sure the Sergeant's wallet was still there. He felt hot, salty tears flow down his face and felt a rush of adrenaline, making him run even faster. Take it, the sergeant had said. He swore to himself he would always keep the wallet as a memory of Robert, the brave man who agreed to help him. The man who died to save him.

Manny saw a town up ahead. He was going to look for a place where they gave him food, a bed, and clothes. Manny ran faster and stopped when he was standing near a street light of the town. Dios mio, he thought, my god... I crossed. He walked on the street, there were not any cars right now. Manny walked looking inside some shops on the street. None were open. It was still, roughly, 1:00 a.m. Manny went into an alley and sat there, waiting for the sun to go up, for the shops to open,to eat. Manny started feeling his eyelids heavy, and before he knew it, he had fallen asleep.

...

"Hey kid, you okay?" Manny heard a voice say. He jumped up alarmed, he had no idea how things worked in America, how the police worked in America.

"Woah calm down," The voice said. It was a girl. She looked average heighted and had dark brown hair that was curly and messy, dark eyes, and dark circles. She was wearing a baggy black t-shirt, worn out tenni-shoes, and jeans. Her skin was dark so Manny assumed she spoke spanish.

"Hablas español?" (Do you speak spanish) Manny asked.

"Si," (yes) She said,"Mi nombre es Lunii." (my name is Lunii). Manny stared at her, then there was another voice, behind her in the entrance of the alley, "Lunii, let's go, bamonos."

"Eres un immigrante de Mexico?" (are you an immigrant from Mexico?) Lunii asked.

"Si, llegue aqui anoche," (yes, I got here last night) Manny responded.

"Cuantos años tienes?" (how old are you) She asked. Manny stared at her, he was starting to think this was way too much information for a girl he just met.

"Porque preguntas?" (why are you asking) Manny asked with a raised eyebrow. Lunii sighed and rolled her eyes,"Quieres un hogar temporario, si o no?" (do you want a temporary home, yes or no). A boy suddenly appeared next to Lunii. he was tall and looked the same as Lunii, same eyes,hair (although Lunii's was longer), and face. They were obviously twins.

"Who's this," he said. Manny only understood 'this'.The boy sounded like an overprotective brother and had a mean look on his face.

"Anibal, this is..." Lunii trailed off. she looked at Manny, "No me dijiste tu nombre."(you never told me your name).

"Manuel, but call me Manny," he said. Lunii looked surprised.

"I thought you didn't speak english," She said.

"Entiendo algunas cosas, pero no todas," (I understand somethings but not all of them) He said.

"Oh," Lunii stared at Manny.

"He's an immigrant from Mexico and he needs a place to stay," She told Anibal.

"Cuanto años tienes?" (How old are you?) Anibul asked Manny.

"Catorse," (fourteen) Manny replied. Lunii looked at Anibul and he nodded.

"Te bamos a llebar a un orphanato donde nosotros bibimos," (We can take you to an orphanage where we live) Anibul told Manny. Manny's face lighted up, "Is that a place where they give you a home and food and clothes and a bed to sleep?"