A Faulty King

Once upon a time there was a beautiful city. A city of wonder, kindness and happy people. Everyone knew each other and everyone shared a smile reaching cheek to cheek. But in the centre of the city lay a ferocious, hungry lion, locked in golden cage in town square. Every day people would pass the lion and look in fear into its black eyes. Children would wonder from their parents to try and get a closer look. The lion did nothing. He lay in his cage, still and tired. There was a legend, long ago told that the king had imprisoned the lion who once threatened the cities people. He trapped the beast and placed him in the centre to prove to his kingdom he could protect them from danger. However, over time, some began to question the king and if this creature was really such a danger.

One night when the skies were black and the streets were calm, a young boy sat at his window quietly watching. Out of the darkness he saw a golden furred lion walking down the cobblestone road. He stopped at the boys window and gazed in before continuing, paw after paw. Without a noise the boy slipped out the open window and followed the animal. When he arrived at the town square he realised they were not alone. There were more. Hundreds of lions stood watching the golden cage. Before he could turn around, the lion he had followed pushed him into the centre focusing each beasts attention on him. They looked at him, then to the cage. The boy stepped closer to the cage and put a sweaty hand onto the door. He locked eyes with animal inside and slowly released the latch, opening the door. The lion stepped out and bowed to the small boy that had not been able to find the ability to close his mouth at what he was experiencing. When he regained his belief he saw a shining, ruby red set of jewels around the lion's neck. He had been their king. The child suddenly felt a large amount of sorrow fill his chest. The city had locked this creature away for years, never knowing its true worth or meaning. Never knowing it itself was a king in his own land. It was not a danger. The boy stood up straight and began to walk back to his little home. To himself he thought, "Maybe, all this time it is our own king who shall be placed in the cage."

The next morning the young boy told the city of what had happened, and the people had the king thrown in his own golden cage. From that day on the city and the lion held a strong alliance and friendship as the king himself lay still and tired.