Chapter 1

"Gun. Mouth. Now," I whisper to my best friend, Lily, who sits next to me in Math class. She chuckles.
"What?" I ask defensively. She only shakes her head, still smiling.
"Wait," I squint my eyes at her. "You understand this?!"
"Miss Spring!" my teacher, Mrs. Crawford, calls out from the front of the room. I bolt to attention.
"Yes, Mrs. Crawford?" I ask in my most innocent voice.
"Is there something you would like to share with the class?" she questions, glaring at me through her miniature spectacles. Everyone in the class turns to stare at me, amused looks plastered onto their faces.
"No, Mrs. Crawford." I beam back at her. She only seems even more agitated, but carries on with the lesson.

"I am not a genius," argues Lily after class. "At least not all the way. But-"
"Oh! You are such a liar! You're a math whiz! You never get below a 95 on your report card!"
She shrugs.
"Ever!" I finish.
"Shush! Keep it down!" She says as she tries to hide her smile. "Everyone's looking at us!"
As I look around, I see that she is telling the truth. People in the hall are turning their heads toward us to see what all the commotion is about. I grin and we jog to our lockers, not meeting anyone's eyes.
At lunch we do our Texas History homework that Lily and I forgot to do last night, talk about her little sister (who was born 6 days ago), and Jack. Jack is my boyfriend who I met last year. His dad got a job offer in Indiana. Do you see the problem? We had grown closer together, and would do anything for each other, but I don't think either of us could stand a long distance relationship.

The rest of the day is normal. Lily and I go to our classes, work, receive homework, grumble about homework, etc. At the end of the day, I say goodbye to Lily and get in my blue Ford Focus.