Finding a Reason - Chapter 4

Ever since the stair incident, I saw him everywhere. Lyn jabbed me in the ribs everytime I saw him, which was always because he's in all of my classes. All of them. He was cocky and up himself; I was starting to hate him everyday, but I envied myself because everytime I saw him, heard him, felt him, my stomach would flip and the heat would crawl up to my cheeks. I hated how head-over-heels I was for him. Cruiz Calero had managed to attract all the other girls' attention, but he knew that he'd caught mine, and that's exactly where he wanted it.

Everyday he'd write on his arms, shoes, bag, locker, desk and even the walls. And never would he take off those glasses, even when he joined the baseball team. I couldn't help myself when I watched him, it was hard not to. He didn't speak much, only to the guys about baseball. My curiosity won over my self-hatred a few days later, in history. Miss Swinson had put him right at the back in the corner, on my desk. Lyn sat in front with one of the cheer leaders, every lesson ended in a fight or a shouting match, they always shot insults at each other through the lesson.

He sat down with a smile, and did the unthinkable,

"Hey, Maia right?"

"Yeah. New boy right? I tried to make it sound offensive but it just sounded curious.

"Cruiz, I already told you that! So I've been trying to attract your attention lately." He smirks, already knowing that I knew that.

"I know. Turns out to me that your a bit of jerk." I look down at my work, making my insults hard to believe. He leans in a little closer, just so I can smell him, something like fresh sea air mixed with spices. I shuddered a little, the scent seemed like I already knew it, maybe smelt it before. His voice became barely and whisper, up close to my ear just so that I could feel the brush of his lips,

"Turns out by the looks of things me and you have something in common. Meet me out the back of school and I'll show you." He turned to his work and acted as though nothing had happened. I tried to wave him off, act as though I would never do that. But we both knew, before I'd even tried to put him off, that that was exactly what I was going to do.