Chapter 1

"All done." I said after I finished applying lipstick to Bliss' lips. We were getting ready for our ballet recital and I had to do our makeup and hair. Well I had to do everything. Our parents aren't around very much which meant I had to take care of Bliss and the house. I was my responsibility to cook, clean and get us to dance. I guess that's a lot for a five year old, but when I'm dancing nothing else matters.

"Girls it's time."

All of us followed our teacher out of the dressing room and to the wings. Some of us watched the older dancers dance other were to nervous to watch. I was really nervous, I wanted to be a dancer when I got older. According to my parents I've never been good at anything, but my teacher says I'm the best dancer in class.

The dance ended and it was our time to go on. I got in my place in the front middle while my sister got on the front end. The curtain rose and I look around for my parents but I didn't see them. I don't know why I expected them to show up they never do.

The audience clapped for us. Some of them stood, probably the other girls parents. In that moment it didn't matter that my parents weren't there. This feeling is what I want to feel everyday, but nothing is everlasting.

***

We've been waiting on the curb for over an hour. When the recital ended Bliss and I went out side to wait for our parents. I knew it was a long shot they would show to pick us up since they didn't watch our performance.

"Eve where are mommy and daddy?" Bliss asked

"They'll be here soon don't worry."

I didn't have the heart to tell her they weren't coming. She's to young to understand but then again I am too.

"Girls what are you still doing here?" Our dance teacher Miss Emilie asked

"Our parents are running late they had to take care of something right after our performance but they will be here soon."

I hated lying to her but I couldn't let her know our parents weren't coming. I didn't need anyone asking questions, my dad said if anyone ever found out my mom and him would be in trouble and so would me and Bliss.

"Okay well the show was over two hours ago I think it's best if I take you girls home I don't want you siting out here all night."

Before I could respond Bliss answered

"Yes thank you Miss Emilie."

"It's no trouble girls."

The whole car ride back to our house was silent. When Miss Emilie parked the car I immediately jump out and grab our stuff. We thanked Miss Emilie for the car ride and walked inside.

"Bliss go get ready for bed now. Mom and dad could come back any second" Bliss nodded and rushed up to our room to change.

I went to the kitchen and made us each a peanut butter sandwich, taking them back to my room.

"Here Blissy eat up we have to get to bed soon."

"But I don't want a peanut butter sandwich we always eat those!"

"That's because its the only thing we have. Now hush and eat it."

She mumbled a 'fine' and began eating her sandwich.

After I changed my clothes I ate my sandwich. I got Bliss in bed and kissed her good night. "I love you."

"I love you too." She said quietly before sleep took over her.

I couldnt go to sleep yet, I had chores to do. I start with the kitchen, cleaning the counter's and doing the dishes. Then I do the living room. As I'm finishing up I hear something move outside and I know my parents are home. I quickly try and make my way to my room but my parents are already through the door.

"Where do you think your going"