The Beginning

"Casey!" I snapped out of my daze as my science teacher, Mr. Johnson, yelled at me. I felt my checks burn as the whole class turned to stare at me. I looked down at my paper, which had only the date on the top of the page in bright blue pen. I glanced at the board and seen it covered in notes in the dissection we are doing next week. I began furiously scribbling down the notes as Mr. Johnson's stare pierced my face.

"Miss Hilderman, would you care to tell me what the scalpel will do during this dissection?" Mr. Johnson asked in a taunting voice. I almost giggled, and I could sense Mr. Johnson getting impatient. What a silly question to ask a 97% average student who had been studying medical since she was 12.

I swallowed my laughter as I sat up in my seat and cleared my throat. "The scalpel will be used to created the incision." I offered, adding a slight smile as I finished. Mr. Johnson shot me a glare and my confidence took a hit. He just nodded before scribbling more notes down. Five minutes later, the bell rang, making a shrill sound that signalled the end of our school day. I packed up my stuff and left to my locker. I grabbed the homework I needed for the weekend and said goodbye to my classmates before walking out the door and meeting up with my brother to give me a ride home.

My brother, Chase, was sitting in his four door truck, scrolling through his phone while waiting for me. I walked to the other side of the truck and grabbed the passenger's door, juggling my bad, binder, and phone while attempting to open the door. Suddenly, the door pushed against me and I flew back onto the ground with a thud. I didn't attempt in getting up, mostly shocked and confused about what just happened. How did I open that door...?

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry about that!" I looked up into the big, dark brown eyes of none other than Ryan Carlson, best friend of my brother and major crush of mine for 12 whole years. His eyes filled with concern as he searched my face for an answer. I could feel my heart flutter as he kneeled by my side. I sat up and became almost too close for comfort with his sharp jawline and soft lips.

"It's okay. I just got the wind knocked out of me" I laughed, shaking off the concern. Ryan's face relaxed as he smiled at me with his perfect teeth. He stood up and offered me his hand. I looked at it before taking it, feeling his strength as he lifted me off of the hard ground. When I was standing on my own two feet, I reluctantly let go of his hand and tried to dust the dirt off of me. Chase hopped out of his truck and walked around the front of it to where Ryan and I were standing.

"Ryan I told you not to hit on my sister!" Chase chuckled. Ryan's face turned red and he gave his friend a not-so-nice punch.  I scowled at my brother, feeling small facing his 6'2" frame. I was a fairly tall girl, standing at a good 5'10".  Ryan was the tallest of us three, standing at a threatening 6'4".  Other than his height, he was anything but threatening.  He wasn't a 'big' kid by any means. He did have a toned body, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't like a hockey player.  For example, I can grab his wrists with only my middle finger and my thumb touching.  Not that I've tried, I just assumed.

Chase left to climb in the truck and start the engine.  Ryan turned back at me and smiled confidently.  I examined his features: distinct eyebrows, dark, brown, eyes framed by long, black eyelashes, distinct cheekbones and a jawline that could kill, and perfectly shaped lips.  I smiled at his near perfection.  Ryan must have noticed because he cleared his throat and shuffled his feet.  I smiled sheepishly back at him, attempting not to show my embarrassment.  I reached to grab the handle on the truck when Ryan's arm reached out and pulled the door open.  I smiled at him, thanking him for his very gentleman act.

Chase seemed annoyed by the time we had got in the vehicle.  I think both Ryan and I could sense the tension in the vehicle as we pulled out of the paved lot.  Chase fiddled with the dials on the radio and turned on the top 40 playlist.  We contently listened to the music playing as the tension decreased.  I felt relaxed and happy, interrupted by the ending of the radio. I looked out my window and realized that we had reached my house.  I unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the back door of Chase's truck. I followed the two boys to the door and took my boots off at the door.

Chase and Ryan left downstairs to watch some sports, and I walked into out kitchen to get something to eat. I opened out stainless steel fridge and scanned through until my eyes landed on a jar of hummus. I grabbed the jar and some veggies before heading to the pantry to get some pretzel chips. I chopped the vegetables up and placed them in a bowl.  After placing some hummus and pretzel chips each in their separate bowls, I left to the living room to snack. 

I plopped down on the large leather couch we had across from our flat screen tv. I smiled as I skimmed through the channels, finally landing on a sports casting show. I was relieved that I had finished another week of school, but mostly to be home. I had spent a lot of time away from home this summer with travelling and sports.  I played on a summer basketball team, travelling all across Canada and parts of the U.S., and Chase played baseball which took up the rest of our time. I loved travelling, don't get me wrong, but I also loved to be home. 

Our house was newly built and to be honest, I loved it so much. It had dark, shiny, hardwood floors, with contrasting white walls and neutral furniture. The kitchen was very modern and clean, with white counters and a grey island bottom and backsplash. The upstairs furniture was white leather couches, and the downstairs a large grey sectional. I loved the basement almost the most out of the whole house.  It was so homey and cozy. My favourite room in the house was awarded to my bedroom.  It had a subtle shade of grey coating the walls, with a grey and white patterned bedspread.  The bed was covered in grey, white, navy, and coral pillows, all placed perfectly on the queen size bed.  On one wall, there was a map of the world painted in navy.  On the opposite wall, there were different coloured frames with photographs from places where I had travelled.  A lampshade with holes poked in the Toronto skyline completed the look.

I was lucky enough to have my own bathroom attached to my already beautiful bedroom. It was simple, with marble countertops and a single vanity dropped sink. There was a small standing bathtub and a corner shower.

I took my empty bowls and placed them in the dishwasher before heading to my room. I went into the bathroom and looked at my reflection in the mirror. My long ombré hair fell around my shoulders in effortless curls, leading to my slim figure. My eyebrows were defined, a 'gift' as my mother would call it. My dark brown eyes were hugged by long, thick, blonde eyelashes. A natural brunette, I was confused and slightly angered of the colour of my eyelashes. They looked almost as though they had been frost bitten.

I studied my appearance thoroughly. I wasn't ugly, but I was no showstopper. I slightly frowned, my full lips pouting. If I could just tweak these small things, maybe I would stop the show. Maybe people would notice me. Maybe Ryan wouldn't overlook me for 12 years.