Just the Highlights (84)

I didn't hear the faint sound of Julie calling my name until she was pretty much right in front of me, "Eli?"

"Yeah?" I casually pulled my earphones out.

"There you are, I've been looking for you everywhere," she raised her eyebrow in question.

"Well I've had a bunch of stuff to do today so," I said, as she sat next to me on the bench, "I've been a bunch of different places."

"I can see that," her eyes trailed down to my rumpled up clothes, "How are you?"

"I'm good," I smiled, wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans, "You know, Jules, we both agreed that we'd give each other space so we could both have a fresh start and not relive high school everyday," she looked over at me sheepishly. "This kind of violates that agreement."

"I know, I know," she pursed her lips, "but I really needed to talk to you."

"Okay, shoot."

Julie knotted her hands together in her lap before looking over at me and crossing her arms, "I've heard some stuff about you and I'm worried."

I gave her a questioning look, "Like what."

"Like you're partying and your drinking and your sex-ing."

"My sex-ing?" A look of amusement spread across my face, but she ignored it.

"Yes. I think you can do what you want but I don't want you to hurt yourself in the process," She said, her eyes growing soft.

"I'm fine, Julie."

She eyed me sceptically, "Are you sure?"

"Yes," I nodded, "I am."

"I'm just worried about you."

"No need to worry about me, sweet pea. I'm good," I gave a reassuring smile.

"If you say so," she answered, but I didn't miss the quick glimmer of disbelief in her eyes, before she stood and walked away from me.