Prologue

Ugh. I feel terrible. Where am I? I open my eyes and see trees. A leaf breaks off from one and lands on my chest. I get up and dust myself off. "Where am I?" I wonder. I spin in a circle. There's trees as far as the eye can see.
"I need to get to high ground." I decide. Climbing up one of the trees, I almost reach the top before the branches start to make cracking noises beneath my feet. I'm going to fall if I go any taller.
Poking my way through the thick layer of leaves at the top, I see that I'm in a deep valley. The trees end at the top. Far away from the tree line, there's a cabin with smoke coming out of the chimney.
I look in that direction, and set off, occasionally climbing up another tree to check if I'm going the right way. My stomach growls. I'm so thirsty. Eventually, I reach the end of the trees.
Walking up to the cabin, I knock on the door. "Hello? Is anyone home?" I ask. I hear loud footsteps and a huge man opens the door. He is fair-skinned, has a large brown beard, and friendly green eyes.
"Well, hello, missy. Don't get much visitin' round here. Ya lost?" He asks.
"Yes, I guess... I just lost my way." I stutter. He nods and leads me inside. He has a cozy home. There are interesting objects crammed in every inch of wall. There are several mirrors. I finally see what I look like.
I'm dusty, dirty, and look like a complete mess. The man comes over and motions toward an oversized brown chair. "Come, sit down. You must be tired." He says.
I take his offer and sit. "So missy, what's your name?" He asks.
"I'm May." I respond.
"Well, what are you doing out here? Those woods are very big." He says seriously.

"I'm honestly fine, I can handle myself." I respond.