Chapter 1- Before French Court

It has been a year since I was sent to the Convent. I wonder, sometimes, if I will return to French court soon. I hope not, I really enjoy the Convent, though there are some things.
After the rest of the girls are ready, we make our way down the corridor in a line, for morning prayer. During morning prayer, however, I am not focusing on the nuns, but outside. I am allowed to play until breakfast, as are the rest of the girls.
Finally, morning prayer is over, and we are let outside. I have to wait for everyone else to leave the room, before I am escorted by Sister Agnes. I breath in a gust of fresh air dramatically. Sister Agnes laughs. I then hike up my tedious skirt and secure it with a pin. The nuns hate when I do this, and that amuses me. I run over to the field just as the game begins.
The sun momentarily blinds me, resulting in the muddy, hand-stitched ball being stolen. This angers me. I run towards the girl, Sarah, and steal the ball back, then I turn around and stick my tongue out at her. She does the same, and we were both reprimanded. The breakfast bell rang.
"I'm sorry I stuck my tongue out at you Sarah." I said looking down at my bare foot feet.

Then the nun spoke. She said "Now apologize to Mary, Sarah."

When Sarah didn't respond I glowered at her. The nun spoke again.

"Sarah, apoligize to Mary, you do not stick your tongue out to anyone, especially not your queen." Being called a queen didn't mean anything to either of us, as we did not know or care about the importance of being a queen.

"I'm sorry Mary." She whispered.

I unstrapped my skirt, and so did she. I picked up the ball, turned to Sarah and said, "Race you to the table."

She smiled and said, "You're on."
The nun laughed and counted us down.

"Three, two, one, go!" She yelled. And we were off. I beat her by half the field. When she finally got there, we did our prayer, as always. But instead of reciting the words, we both just gasped for air. Finally, we caught our breath and she muttered, "Cheater."

"Am not" I replied.

"Are too." She whispered.

"Amen." Everyone else at the table said. Then we were fed. The nuns on kitchen duty came out with one giant rusty bowl, and lne smaller metallic bowl. They went around the table pouring the porridge into their wooden bowls from the giant bowl. Sister Agnes and I were skipped, as always. Then came the smaller bowl of Porridge. Sister Agnes first, then me. I watch her take a bite. Then I wait, I wait for her to nod her head in approval. Then she does, signaling that I may begin to eat as well. I am always done last, and I must watch everyone play while I sit here, eating until I am done. I get up from the table, and secure my skirt once again. I am ready to play, to beat Sarah. I start to run, but am stopped when I her one of the nuns call my name.

"Mary, stop!" She yells. I stop immediately, for fear of being reprimanded again.

"Today you begin your studies Mary. You are eight now, you are becoming a woman."

"What about the other girls!" I reply. "Why am I the only one 'studying', there are much older girls here. Why don't they have to study?" I ask.

"Because you are queen, Mary. They are not."

Realizing my defeat, I give up. i follow the nun down the hallways. We get to a room I have not been in before. It is a room with a desk, books, pens, chairs, and a trunk. I wonder what that trunk is for.
During my studies, I learn manners, posture, math, history and 'How to be a proper Queen'. This is truely boring, however. I want to be outside playing with my feet in the mud. I even have to go outside in shoes now. I can't hike my skirt up, or race Sarah anymore. I must be polite and courteous, I am told. I was told a queen does not run, and she must always keep her posture.
The next week instead of playing, I read a history book. It is quite interesting, though I would never admit it. Sarah runs over to me, "Your becoming a stuck up little princess, aren't you?" She says. I smile at her politely, as I can see Sister Agnes testing me. I would be more polite if it was anyone else, but not Sarah. With the fake, but genuinely plastered smile on my face. She says again in a sing-song manner, "Stuck up little princess, stuck up little princess." I respond with "I am not a princess, I am a queen." That shuts her up. Then I see Sister Agnes. She is trying not to laugh. She fails miserably. Sarah just walks away, and I continue with my reading. I am the Queen.