ONE SHOT: Once In A Hundred Years

With a travelling bag at my shoulders, I waved a hand at my mother as I walked away from the front porch of our house. Today is Sunday, and it has been 8 years, 2 months, and 14 days ever since that awkward yet memorable encounter that I had with him. I have been counting each second that passes, until I finally get the chance to meet him once again. And now, I am on my way to my grandparent's rest house which is located at the country side. It's a small city with a small shopping district, but for me and for him, at that very day, I would have never imagined that I would be fated to meet him. It was a once in a hundred year encounter, which I would never ever forget.

When I finally found a seat inside the bus beside a window, I smiled at myself as I reminisce each and every memory of that day on. You may find my story to be too overwhelming, and you may not believe me, but it's up to you to decide. But if you want to know how we meet, then please continue reading. Our story is only foretold once in a hundred years...

My grandparents loved cats. They had 8 in their household, and they both took very good care of them. They asked me to buy 15 cans of cat food at the shopping district. As I was on my way home, I remembered that this city had a very old legend. It is said that the spirit of a black fox protects the city form harm. It is also said that the black fox would transform into a human being, with the form of a young boy. Although it had live for how many decades, it would only appear in its human form once in a hundred year. For what reasons? That, I don't know. But anyway, it's just a legend. I don't even think that it would actually happen. If it did happen, I don't think he would appear in front of me.

When I was about to take a turn at the crossroad, I stopped at my tracks and just stood there, bewildered. My eyes caught a glimpse of a young boy at his 18's. He was standing at the middle of the road. He had a very black hair, a white t-shirt with black slacks, and his back facing me. I didn't know why I couldn't take my eyes off of him. There's something about him that reminds me of someone, or is it something? Suddenly, he smiled and squatted down, just to touch the cat that just passed by his side. For a second there, I felt my chest tighten when I saw him smile. The smile was so kind, so warm. It felt like it was the first time he smiled for such a long time.

I automatically clutched my chest to stop it from throbbing inside, but forgot that I was holding 2 plastic bags of cat foods. The contents spilled out on the ground. I immediately looked at the boy, and found him looking straight into my eyes. What a pair of perfect blue eyes. I found myself drowning inside them. It was like the eyes of a fox walking around the mountain, looking out for danger. His eyes were gentle and kind. A perfect pair of blue eyes. I stooped down to pick up the spilled contents, and at the corner of my eye, I noticed him approaching me. When he got near, he sat beside me and helped me pick up the cans. When I raised my head to have a clear and upfront view of his face, I just froze there, as I stared into his eyes. I got back to my senses when he helped me stand back up.

"T-Thank you.." I said to him as soon as I stood up.

"Let me help you. I'll carry the plastic bags for you.." He told me as he carried them.

"A-Are you sure?" I couldn't cover up the stammering of my mouth whenever he looked at me with that captivating eye he has. As if he was piercing my heart by his gazes.

"It's been a while ever since I helped someone," he answered as he smiled at me.

He walked me all the way to my home, and when we arrived, I invited him in, but in return he smiled politely, saying that he couldn't.