Chapter 1

I was on a bench, sitting, waiting for something. I don't really remember what, but soon after she showed up. She popped up from almost nowhere, and took me by the hand. She took me to a field,  where we ran and, well really pranced. But at one point, we stopped, and we sat in the middle of this field, and she looked into my eyes and I looked into hers. This is a part I remember well. She leaned in, as did I, and, as always, I woke up. This dream is the same dream I've had for months, and it always ended the same way. But, it's whatever.  I rubbed my eyes, and got out of bed.  I stretched, then checked the time. It was 6:00, and I normally woke up an hour later. I sighed, and ran my hand through my auburn hair. The one subject of asking Adriana had been on my mind ever since my best friend had brought it up.   Of course, I had thought about it before, but I had never actually considered asking.  I guess I was too shy, and scared of rejection. I walked downstairs after I was dressed, and got my breakfast of cereal and stared out the window. I sighed again, and ate my cereal, only one thing on my mind.

As I drove to school, my Mom kept asking me what was up. I told her that nothing was up. The only person I've ever told my crush about was my best friend, who greeted me as soon as I got out of my mom's car.

"Hey, Captain, how're you doing?" She asked me. She's called me Captain as long as I can remember, and I believe the reason why is because when we were little we were in the production of 'The Sound of Music' and I played Captain von Trapp. She played Mother Abbess, which created her nickname.

"I'm fine, what about you, Reverend Mother?"

"I'm great. So, you got anything going on this weekend? 'Cause I've got nothing good to do," She smiled.

"Yeah, sure, you can come over," I fake sighed, then smiled over at her.

"Oh, c'mon, you know you enjoy my company," I rolled my eyes, then she continued, "So, are you gonna ask her, or what?"

"Ugh, why do you have to keep asking me? I don't know, okay?"

"Alright, god. But, you should probably  prepare yourself, because she's walking towards us right now."

"Wait, she is?" I reached up and checked my hair, smelled my breath,  and put on a smile.

"Hey guys, what's up?" She asked as she approached , her black hair flowing in the wind.

"Not much, Adriana. How about you?" R.M. asked.

"Eh, not much either," Her hair swished as she looked in the other direction.

Reverend Mother nudged me, and I shook my head. I had been staring. I put on a smile, and joined the conversation.

"Um,   s-so are you guys-" I was going to say but, 'excited for the dance'  I sighed and instead said, "nervous for that science quiz?"

Reverend face palmed, and Adriana turned back around and smiled at me, explaining how she felt about that quiz. I'm such a coward, I thought to myself,  and I tormented myself with thoughts like that all day, and at lunch Reverend told me not to be so hard on myself.

"Hey, man, c'mon, it's not that bad. You'll ask her at some point, and I'm sure she'll say yes."

"I dunno, R.M. I mean-"

"OOH, who are we talking about?" Adriana said wide eyed as she sat down next to me. I blushed.

"Uh, um, Captain's crush!"

I frowned, and said, "Y-yeah, my c-crush," then gave a death glare to Reverend.

"You have a crush on a girl, and you didn't tell me!" Adriana looked over at me. "This is great news! Who is it?"

"Well, I mean, I- well-"

"He's not really telling anybody, I don't even know!" Reverend quickly and smoothly saved. I knew Reverend could woo anybody with her quick wit.

"Really? Huh, must be pretty important, I suppose."

"It's whatever," I said looking away.

"Well, no, Captain, it really isn't! Hey, wait, are you gonna ask her to the dance?"

"Well, I-"

"Ah, what am I saying, of course you're going to ask her!"

I sighed, and put on a smile, and nodded at her. She squealed, and started rambling on about how romantic this was, and how excited she was about this new found crush of mine. R.M. kept glancing over at me with a sympathetic smile, then would look back over at Adriana, smile and nod. I looked down at the floor. How did these things always happen to me?

When I got home, my mom asked me how my day was. I said it was fine, just like I always told her. I went up to my room, and sat at my computer, just as I always did as soon as I got home. I did everything in routine, with the thought at the back of my mind that Adriana would never like me back, which was always the thought I had at the end of every day. Except, now I knew it was true.