Sing from the Heart- Prologue

Have you ever heard the saying music speaks louder than words? Have you ever heard someone say that music is the only way to express themselves? Have you ever heard that music is what gives people hope? Those three sentences summarize my life.

Ever since I was two, my parents had sent me to singing lessons. My dad had said he’d seen potential in me ever since I was born, and my mom just went along with him. My dad kept saying that I was going to be a big star and make a lot of money. He would know of course because he was a big music producer.

By the time I was thirteen, I could hit every high and low note that existed to man. My dad was thrilled, but as usual, my mom stayed on the sidelines. She’d never really paid attention to anything he said about my singing because all she really wanted was my dad to notice her. All he’d ever do was gush stories about work and ask me how school went. It was like my mom wasn’t even alive to him. I tried many times to get him to talk to her, but all he’d ever say was ‘okay’ and move on.

My mom became severely depressed after that. She no longer had the heart to cook dinner or even go to work. When my dad finally started to notice, he accused her of being selfish and cold hearted. Again and again I tried to console her, but she only got worse. Within one month they had gotten a divorce which broke my heart like I never could have imagined.

My dad won custody over me, and I was forced to leave my mom even though I didn’t want to. I cried myself to sleep for months and had depressing nightmares every night.

Not knowing what to do, my dad sent me to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist said that I needed something to keep me busy and suggested playing an instrument. My dad was thrilled when he heard this, but I was far from it. He sent me off to guitar lessons, and within three months, I could play the guitar perfectly.

My dad was so blind by his excitement of having his perfect dream daughter that he didn’t see that I was still sad and depressed. He soon shipped me off to a boarding school for kids that had special talent.

That’s where my story starts. Just a sad girl moving away from home going to a boarding school for people who have talent, and meeting people I definitely didn’t see coming.

And then, for the first time in my whole life despite the fact that I had so much experience with it, music spoke to me.