Chapter 1- Just My Luck

"Bye hunny we love you.. oh and you too Tee-bone" I heard my mum say, waving her hand at me while my dad peeped the horn, driving away in our already decomposing vehicle.

I stood there, in the middle of nowhere with my luggage on one side, a "Congratulations its a girl" cake in one hand and my dog Tee-bone in the other who was completely oblivious to what was happening.. well no joke neither did I.

I was utterly gobsmacked at what just happend... what the hell did just happen, all I recall was...

Few hours

before...

"Hunny your father and I have something to tell you" my parents came and sat down beside me on my bed.

"What is it?" while getting up tiredly from my bed, Not really bothered to pay much attention to what they had to say, because normally there conversations to me were "are you having protected sex?" "do you have a boy in your life... I mean its alright if you had the other, we totally understand".

They were totally so awkward with topics that didn't interest me one bit but more like made me shiver and block my ears from there misunderstandings and quick judgements.

My parents were the type... especially my mum to be shouting out to me at the front of the school in the middle of everyone "hunny ... make sure you've got a spare pad in your bag, we don't want any.. you know what to leak" she'd say smilingly oblivious to the shame and embarrassment she'd put me through.

I felt like I walked around the whole school with a massive ' L' plastered on my forehead which stood for LOSER! .

Sometimes I wonder if my parents did embarrassing things to me on purpose to punish me for not doing my chores that day or something.

"We're completely broke hun" those words caught me completely off guard and for once it was actually something serious, ironically in a misfortunate way.

"We can't afford this house anymore an things are starting to turn downhill for us tryign to keep up with payments an all". she sighed

"We just don't have enough money like what we had before."

"Your father an I have worked so hard to make amends meet but every-time we do new things to pay for pop up, so we gradually got into debt".

"What?... How?" I was so confused as to how my parents could be completely broke at a time like this when my grandparents had stored away funds for our family before they had passed away...

It was a Kerrigan family tradition to store funds for the next generation and we just happened to be the next line to my grandparents wealthiest establishments in England.

"But grandma and grandpa stored..."

"They stored it for you sweety, your grandparents didn't really like the fact that I married your father, so as spite they gave us a tiny amount to bring you up and now its finished." Mum had a desperate look on her face that made me sad for.

"You know your grandmother was so meticulous with the funds that she exactly planned out how much funds we would need to bring up until this point, that stingy women". She proclaimed, she was clearly agitated at her own mum for putting her own daughter through this.

The rest of the money, your grandma put the trust funds under your name until you turn 20 then you can access it".

I was in complete and utter shock by now, I had never heard of my grandparents disliking my parents together and not only that skipping a generation of funding.

"So what does that mean, do I have to move schools, different house, different country... what?" my parents looked at each other and sighed, my dad grabbed my mums hand and she grabbed mine, while they both looked at me.

"Well no sweety your not moving schools or country just a different home that's all".

Well that wasn't so bad I guess a new start in a fresh new home sounded alright to me.

"But there's a catch" my dad spoke, scratching his head and that was a sign of a serious catch.

"Well you see baby girl, this was the hardest decision we've ever made but it's only to make sure you are safe and nothing changes with your life now, so wev'e decided for you to stay with a close family friend of ours that your father and I have known for God knows how long until we come back with enough money to be a proper family again" that didn't sound so ba-

"Wait.. what? your just going to leave me in some strangers house while you guys go off and have a good time, is this one of your ways of disowning me. How could you?!".

I was so infuriated, that the words scrapped hard against my throat when it came out, tears started to roll down my eyes like blotches, I cant believe my own parents would resort to leaving me in a house with a couple of strangers, while they venture out and who knows when I'll see them again or what would happen to me.

"You don't understand... we had no other choice, we can't take you with us because you deserve a better life then what we can offer for now so please be a good girl and cooperate" my dad said with a worrying expression on his face, I watched as my mum had tears in her eyes as she grasped my hand tightly.

I was now slowly regretting having yelled at them I realised, watching my mum and dads expressions on there faces showed what I said hurt them in a way that made them feel guilty in not providing for me well, I could clearly see they were more hurt an torn more about the circumstances then I was, especially my mum.

She would do anything for me and I mean they still were trying as hard as they could in providing for me in every way possible by leaving me to find work, they were only going to leave me for a few months won't they.

"Oh hunny I know this is so hard for you but please see it in our point of you all we want is for you to be happy and this is the only way we could think off" my mum wiped her tears but that didn't do anything as the tears quickly came out like a waterfall.

I guess my mum was right in a way, somehow I couldn't help but feel like this was actually going to be my big break of freedom for me on the bright side of things, no more awkward talks, and embarrassing situations just those two things gone sounded like my life was turning upwards a tiny bit. Although I'd miss my parents a whole lot there just wasn't anything I could do at this point about saying to them no.

"you know" my mum sniffled a bit trying to talk "This might actually be a good thing for us sweety"

"But when is this all happening?" I finally asked with a cooler expression then before, Im sure we wouldn't be leaving anytime soon, right. Maybe not until a few days or so.

My parents looked at each other for a brief moment then looked at me "Now..."

"Huh?"