Chapter 1: Hopeless Hearts

March 27, 2015

The next school's concert band appeared on stage to perform. My friends Zach and Davis sat next to me and they dared me to try to wave and catch a performer's attention. I smirked, knowing I could easily do this dare. I randomly waved my hands around and a few seconds later, a girl in the percussion section waved back at me. Zach and Davis laughed at me. Minutes later, we were being ushered into a practice room where our band was getting ready to practice because we were next. Half an hour later, it was our turn to perform our 2 pieces. I looked out into the crowd, noticing many of the kids from the previous band watching us. 

After my band performed, we got off stage and waited another hour for the final results. Once again, Zach, Davis, a few other guys, and I sat next to each other. A few chairs away beside me sat 2 girls, who I later found out were named Lilee and Savannah. They scooted a few seats closer to me and giggled. I looked at them with a what-the-heck-do-you-want expression. Lilee asked who one of my friends were because they saw him on stage and thought he was attractive. At first, I told them the name of a 7th grader because I thought they were talking about him. But I then realized, they were talking about a friend of mine named Adam. They quickly asked questions about him, to which I couldn't answer because I didn't know him well enough. Then they wondered if I could go up to him and ask if he was interested in them. So being the outgoing and brave person I was, I stood up and squeezed my way past my guy friends and found Adam. I went up to him, ignoring the people talking to him, and told him about Lilee and Savannah. He shook his head and told me he wasn't interested in a relationship at all. 

I was walking back to my seat when a face caught my attention.