Decemeber 1862

Dominick bunched his hands deeper into his pockets as an icy wind sliced his skin open. He could see as his breath puffed out in front of his face. He could feel as the blood splattered across his face dried into brittle flakes. He could smell his own grief threatening to consume him.
Entering the bar was a welcome. The warm air thawed his frozen skin as it washed over his entire being. He sighed, the sharp smell of stale whiskey and sweat invading his senses. He bite back the urge to gag. Dominick searched the sea of blissful faces, searching for his companion. It wasn't hard. The man was tucked away from the clashing sounds with a glass of untouched water sitting before him.
"Did you bring what I asked of you?" The man glared at him, his beady eyes probing deep into Dominick's mind. Of course he brought it. This man had threatened him every day. Sent letters demanding Dominick bring what he craved. Killed his beloved.
Instead of answering Dominick slid a dented bronze box across the table. The plump man reached for it like a starved dog being offered a bone. Outrage lit his features as he flicked the lid open, his eyes filling with hatred.
He glanced at Dominick, his mask quickly settling over his fat features once again. "I will find it. And I'll make sure you pay." The man snapped his fingers. Dominick launched himself to his feet, his pulse thudding loudly in his ears. The men surrounding him stood as one, their expressions no longer rowdy but sober. The portly man laughed as the Dominick curled his hands into futile fists.
"Sweet dreams, Mr.Nellic." Then the men launched themselves. It was clear they had one intention. To kill him.