Punch-Drunk Love

The wind blows on your face as I begin to evaporate into oblivion.

Apathetic.  You are the quintessence of that word. It’s great to know you gladly confess to this because if you were in utter defiance, I would have hit you with any metal thing in sight. Although you are indifferent, I cannot stop staring at you.

“Mica.. Mica!” Stephen exclaimed.

I wasn’t aware that I had been looking at him intently for five minutes. My cheeks immediately captured a shade of red.

“Oh.. Oh my, I’m sorry! I’d been contemplating about a lot of things lately…” I started to admit.

“Oh okay,” he said.

Here I am, left venturing the path of indignity. My eyes traveled to the floor and back to his.

I cannot believe it. Every time I start to express feelings of elation or depression, he continues to be his usual unsympathetic self. How, if humanly possible, will I ever convey my love for him?

The only emotion he has ever shown is annoyance.

Is it because he is too intelligent and spends too much time browsing his books... He leaves his emotions behind? Or maybe he just can’t have it all?

I’d like to agree to the latter.

“Stephen, I… It’s about you.  It bugs me that…“ I reasoned, tapping my fingers on the edge of the table as I searched for precise words to fit my vindications.

“So it’s my fault?” he assumed. His eyes narrowed as it held my gaze.

“No it’s just that you’re too apathetic and I don’t like it,” I have just wrongly phrased my words.

He uttered something for a second but I wasn’t able to hear it. He seemed so furious while my whole figure sat shaking.

I could not wait any longer for his reply. I stood up and looked down at him. I stared at his blank expression. I’d rather look at him perplexed than infuriated.

He stood up and fixed his eyes on me.

Just as I thought he’d leave the room, I felt him lean closer to me.

I felt his breath on my face as he put his arms on my waist. Through my thick jacket, I could feel his fingers trembling. His mouth formed a smile and I exhaled in relief.

He stared into me like I was his own and I felt like I belonged to him. I am mystified to where this is leading.

I looked away, embarrassed and baffled as the blood gushed up my face.

He inclined closer and I felt his lips on mine, and in that moment, I let him smother me with his mouth. I felt my body move forward, almost touching his, and then he placed his hand on my nape. My hands moved to his face, the face that I could not stop myself from staring at. And now I touched it delicately as if it were satin.

He tasted undeniably pleasant yet nondescript. The kiss lasted for minutes although it felt for me as if it were only seconds.

Maybe because I wanted more.