This Song's For You (Short Story)

• Dedicated to My Sister

This Song’s for You – a Short Story

Jesse Carlyle breathed in deeply as he leaned against the dresser, looking at his reflection in the mirror in his dressing room. He was shaking with nerves as was usual before he played a show.

But this show was different, so much more different than the others, he thought, as he closed his eyes and concentrated on his breathing.

He could hear the crowd chanting as they called his name. This would be his sixth show since he started touring in late February. Critics had described him as “On fire” or “The best thing since Mathew James”. He knew it was because he sang from the heart and connected with his audience on whole new level.

There was only one reason he could do this.

“I thought rock stars didn’t get nervous before a show?”

Jesse opened his eyes, to see Caitlin; his best friend, his muse and his love’s reflection smiling at him in the mirror, in that innocent way she always did.

His heart gave a slight lurch, as it always did at her presence, as the familiar warmth of love spread through him. A smile crept onto his face.

He shrugged, his smile never wavering, as he turned to look at her, “I don’t know. I don’t feel like a rock star.”

“Are you kidding me? You’ve got your own dressing room, people are chanting your name and you’re on your way to becoming the hottest act today. If that doesn’t spell ‘rock star’, I don’t know what does.” She replied, walking over to him and wrapping her arms around his neck.

She kissed him lightly on the lips, but Jesse hugged her closer, not waiting to break the kiss. This was the best part of his show night, being with her, holding her this close. He felt indestructible, like nothing and no one could touch him. This time when the nerves returned they weren’t because of the impending performance he was about to give. It was because of the woman he loved so deeply that his heart ached whenever they were apart. The thought of losing these stolen moments scared him more than facing a crowd of thousands of fans, all expecting him to be great.

“Hey,” Caitlin said once they finally broke the kiss, “You’re going to do great. I know this is a huge moment for you, but you and I both know just how awesome you are. They’ll love you. Do you really think they would be here if they didn’t?”

Jesse sighed, “No – no they wouldn’t.”

“Exactly. Now, take a hint from your muse and relax already.” She cupped his face in her hands, “And never forget; your music has the power to change lives and do you know why?”

“Because all my songs about my lovely fiancé?”

“No,” she rolled her eyes, but was sincere in her words when she said, “Because you, Jesse Carlyle, sing from the heart. Not many people can say that, but you can.”

Jesse knew he couldn’t love this woman more than he did right now. He still couldn’t believe that he’d gotten a great woman like her to agree to be his wife. Heck, he couldn’t believe he’d almost let a great woman like her slip from his life.

He and Caitlin had been friends since they were eighteen years old. She’d been the waitress at the bar he’d played his first gig at as a struggling musician. The crowd had been tough, but to his credit, he’d been completely jittery. Somehow the lights, which were pretty dim, had seemed too bright, while the crowd, which had consisted of about only fifteen people and that was including the waitresses, bartender and the two other acts still to perform that night, seemed like hundreds. He kept fumbling and seemed to forget the words to his own song.