Purpose

Chapter One

            What a great night for work. Not a cloud in the sky, in this part of the world, right off the ocean, you can see more stars than anywhere in the United States. Any normal person would stare at it for hours because of how beautiful it is. Me, I like staring at the night sky here because of how empty it makes me feel. If I had true emotions everything would be so different. Who knows where I would be today. Doctor, Lawyer. Stay at home mom. The possibilities of normalcy are endless. But I am not normal, by any definition of the word. I know how to hide that side of me though, well enough that I am still here today, free to do what I do and continue my work. My only joy anymore is the game, all the things that lead up to a successful night for me. A night of work, it is all so….invigorating. This is the only thing I have anymore, the only thing to remind me that I am alive. If it weren’t for this I would most certainly slip up on duty. Someone would notice all the fake emotions. Ask the wrong questions that would leave me unable to answer, or come up with a proper excuse. That would be terrible, I like what I do, and there is always someone on my mark. Someone like…..ah, speaking of which, here the bastard is now. Ryan Kirkpatrick, nasty individual he is, yet nothing compared to me. Ryan is, or rather was, an American Senator of the state of Kansas. Ryan has been a bad boy. The good Senator used American tax dollars for human trafficking, particularly young boys. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out why. On top of that this greedy son of a bitch was selling Intel to Moscow about this particular operation in the Mediterranean, which is where I happened to find him. It was mere coincidence that I found him last week. In a bar outside of Syracuse in Sicily, there he sat, I remember the news reports, and I never forget a face, unfortunately for him. I have a knack for finding people that deserve my treatment, or the luck that they find me, such as this case. Mr. Kirkpatrick, while facing huge embarrassment and impeachment in the Supreme Court for several counts of human trafficking, child molestation, and espionage, which could possibly lead to life imprisonment or even capital punishment, decided it would be best to leave the country. What a coincidence that I found him, just minutes south of Augusta where the fleet he sold secrets about is now docked. The fleet I belong to, the fleet he put in danger. I don’t know what compelled him to come here, hide in the last place they would expect to find you I suppose. I’m sure he didn’t count on me. I will do very good work tonight, I need this, through this I can feel, through the suffering of others I am alive. Ryan won’t know it, but with his help I can go on, my life has meaning.

            Enough reflection, though reflection is one of the few things I have anymore. It is time to get started. Kirkpatrick frequents this bar, sometimes with company, other times alone. Either way I have come prepared. I am an attractive young woman, and through my observations he is more than aware of me from the few times I have seen him in this bar. I’ve made opportunities for him to make contact with me while in his favorite bar, but I’ve either ignored him or made an excuse, without giving him the satisfaction of being able to talk to me. Tonight I will give him that chance, and he will not resist. He may have taste in little boys, but he is what most people would call a hound dog when it comes to women. Especially women with brown hair, and brown eyes. Though I changed my hair from blonde to brown, just for this occasion. I already had brown contacts, as I prefer them to my natural eye color, seeing as though I was born with one green and one blue eye. You don’t remember a person with brown eyes. I do everything I can to blend in constantly, making sure there is nothing to distinguish me from the crowd. I am fluent in Italian, French, German, and even Russian. I am good at mimicking accents too, which is why for this mark I have been using a French one. He thinks I am a tourist from Nice, information he should have got from the bartender, information I planted knowing he is partial to French women. Looking at my watch now, it is eight thirty at night, let the fun begin. Stepping out of the small nondescript rental, a vehicle I have swapped out each day, I walk towards his car, reach into my purse and pull out a pair of gloves, fortunately he is an idiot and never locks his car, I open the door and sit hunched in the passenger seat so that I am opposite the entrance to the bar. There it is, his passport, Jason Allen Key. Interesting alias, but nonetheless a fake name for sure. Nothing incriminating in the glove box or center console. Briefcase, there we go, breaking it open is simple enough. It is amazing what people keep in these, this isn’t the first time I’ve found something incriminating inside a simple briefcase, people can be so stupid. There are plenty of documents with his real name on them in here, such an idiot. Nothing important to take, but it does prove who I suspected him to be. That’s very good for me, very bad for him. Time to start the show.