Chapter 1: The Unexpected, "This can't be happening."

Please rate, vote and comment.

All thoughts are welcome and criticism. Always want to get better.

||||||||||||||||||||||

 We never expected it would be us. Our generation thought for so long in the ways of the previous. I for one always said it would happen but after much brainwashing from my surrounding closed minded fellow humans, I began to think like them. I started thinking 'Hey maybe it might happen but I'd be long gone by then.' The thought still lingered in my head many times I won't lie about that. In certain situations I'd think 'This is it, it'll happen and I'd never see my family again.' Once I knew it'd start it would be nearly impossible to get back to them. I would try but I don't know my way around even after living here for years. It's been six years and I only know how to get to my mom's job and my aunt's house. Sometimes I can remember things but under pressure I know it'd be a long shot for me.

This was something I'd have to live with. There wouldn't be time for grieving. As all of this went through my head I stood in front of the flesh eating monsters that feasted on my friends. They'd not noticed me as the moans and groans of the others that feasted along with them. My friends as they died a slow painful death did not seem to notice me either. Maybe that was why I was still alive. I couldn't do anything to help them. Unarmed and no courage I stepped back quietly and made my way to the car.

"Kat..." I heard a small whisper come from right. I looked and my eyes widened as I saw Joseph, my best friend stand behind the wall of the park bathroom. His beautiful light blue eyes stared into mine, both full of fear. "We need to get to my car..." He said and looked around before walking up to me. I looked up at him in disbelief.

"This... This isn't happening, it can't be..." I said quietly the fear apparent in my voice. This was all too surreal. I looked up at him visibly shaking. He stood at 6"4' as I stood at 4"11'. He had long shoulder length jet black hair and his skin was a beautiful olive tone. I on the other hand had long red-violet hair that stretched out to my lower back and emerald green eyes. He was slim and very cool looking but I was a bit thick with that strange Goth look. I say strange because it wasn't very clear. I tend to mix up my way of dressing. I jumped as I felt his hand gently touch the top of my head.

"It can't be, but it is... We need to get out of here." He said trying to stay calm for the both of us. We both knew the fear bottled up inside of him was immense. He grabbed my small hand in his and began leading me to his car. I stared at him for what seemed an eternity until his voice brought me back to reality. "Kat..! Kat...!" He whispered loud enough for only me to hear. I stared at him a bit out of it.

"Where's Drake?" I asked remembering Joseph's boyfriend who never let him out of his sight. I felt Joseph's hand twitch and he shook his head tears filling his eyes. He made me get in the car as we kept quiet. I didn't know what to say. I was in shock. I always thought I'd be so prepared if it happened. I always said the moment I saw then I'd drive knife through their skulls. A gamer that'd prepared and researched every way she could to be ready in case this exact thing happened. I sat there and looked around as Joseph turned on the engine. In less than 3 minutes he had us out of the park and in the main road. "Joseph... Everyone's gone..." I said as the mere thought brought tears to my eyes. I knew I couldn't go home. It's a 3 hour drive; we had gone on a random road trip and hadn't heard from our families or the world in 4 days. We didn't think much of it since were all having so much fun. It felt liberating to be on our own. Now I regretted it. I miss them and I will never know if they still lived.

"Kat... I'm sorry... We need to find somewhere safe..." I know he was dying inside from the loss of his boyfriend. They loved each other. They'd been together since freshmen year in high school. I could see the tears falling from his chin even though his hair covered the rest of his face. It must have been horrid to see he one you love taken from you and eaten in front of your eyes. I couldn't fully understand because no one had ever loved me the way Drake loved Joseph. Their love was the purest thing I'd ever seen. "We'll be alright Kat..." He tried to reassure me. He was strong. He didn't have to be. He could've ran and left me behind but he hid and waited for me. Not just me he waited for all of us. I was sadly the only one left. He knew I was emotionally weak, now he was stuck being the strong one just to keep me alive.