Chapter 1

Author's note: Dean Wincherster AU, other characters will make appearances. I realize Crowley's first name is Fergus, I just can't get down with that so Mark Crowley it is! Yes I realize its a bit Dean meets Code Black meets Grey's Anatomy, its supposed to be. I've been a RN for 10 years, 8 of them spent in ER and Trauma Centers, the speech the nurse on Code Black gives in the opening, I've given similar speeches as a Charge nurse...the doorbell at the ambulance entrance for gang related shooting to drop off a patient, I've done that, but some stuff they just plain get wrong. Code Black means a bomb threat, so yeah...that's not real lol.

Chapter 1

"Sorry for the delay Dr. Winchester, my last meeting ran late." Dr. Mark Crowley came into his office where Dean Winchester, his new trauma fellow was waiting. He shook the hand of the former Marine and went to sit behind his desk, grabbing a folder and opening it to grab an ID card and hand it to the awaiting physician.

"No problem sir, gave me a chance to caffeine up before my first night." Dean indicated to his coffee in his hand with a smile, sitting back in the chair and waiting for instructions from one of the areas leading physician in emergency medicine.

"Yes, a good idea, Saturday nights tend to be...eventful. Call me Crowley, everyone does." Dean nodded and sat forward, listening as Crowley's went over his schedule for the next week. He knew he would be put through the paces in one of the busiest emergency rooms in the country and he knew he would be tested by Dr. Crowley, he was used to it and he enjoyed it, he liked the challenge.

"So that's it for next week, tonight you'll be paired with Mama...sorry, Mia St. John. She's our charge." Dean's eyes narrowed as Crowley sat back in his chair and looked up at him expectantly.

"Excuse me? I'm working with...a nurse?"

"Yes, I've found starting my new physicians with Mia is the most efficient introduction to how this ER runs. Every attending, fellow, resident, and intern that passes through my doors starts with Mia, once she approves, then you'll be paired with an attending."

"And if she doesn't approve?" Crowley sat back in his chair, a smile coming to his face.

"Well if Mama isn't happy...we're all unhappy. I suggest you get going, she appreciates punctuality." Dean nodded and stood, grabbing his white coat and throwing it on over his navy blue scrubs. His jaw set in a tight line he walked towards the emergency room, finding a nurse in all black scrubs waiting for him. She stood by the double doors, a stethoscope around her neck and Dean let his eyes wander down her tall frame. Her hair was pulled back in a messy bun on top of her head, her face was turned away from him and he could see a partial tattoo on her neck. Hmmm...a bad girl, he thought to himself as he took in her toned and tan arms. She had to be only a few inches shorter than him, with long legs that went on for days. He walked up behind her and cleared his throat as she turned to face him. Her full lips flattened into a thin line, her blue eyes narrowed and then she smirked at him, raising a perfectly arched eye brow as she spoke.

"Dr. Winchester?" He nodded and she shook her head with a sigh. "You're late and timing is everything. Lose the white coat, we don't have time to be pretty around here, follow me."

"Excuse me ma'am...who are you?" She rolled her eyes at him and took the white coat he was shedding out of his hands and pushed through the doors, the chaotic sounds of a ventilator going off and the ambulance radio crackling as he followed her to the command center of the emergency department. She tossed the coat on the chair and turned to look at him, eyeing him up and down and he had the distinct impression she didn't entirely approve of what she saw.

"I'm Mia...but you can call me Mama." She smiled and a few of the nurses in the station laughed as they passed by, one even turning to look at him with pity in her eyes. Dean put his hands on his hips and straightened his shoulders, feeling like he was in a stare down with his instructor back in boot camp.