Till Death do We Part

Prologue 

“I don't like it.”

“What's not to love, my lady? It's a win-win situation. You can marry a beautiful prince that loves you, and can save your country at the same time.” Danny replied.

“That's easy for you to say...”

“Come on, let's head back to the palace and get something to eat, I'm starved.”

“Wait,” I muttered tugging on Danny's hand to make him stop. He turned slowly towards me and looked directly at me, as a friend, not as a servant. The face I had known for so long and that brought me comfort in the midst of chaos.

“Do you really think I should do it?” I asked, biting my lip.

Drawing me into his embrace, Danny rested his head on the top of my hair. “Of course, I would rather you stayed with me.”

I melted into him, truly enjoying his familiar scent. Although he was only a servant, he was still my one and only friend.

“Danny...I love you.” I whispered against him. Forbidden love, but love nonetheless.

“Kate, I love you too.” He replied, confirming in my mind what I would do.

“Then let's leave this place and go far away. We can get married, settle down, just the two—“

My sentence was cut off by the sound of feet. Within a few seconds we were surrounded by soldiers and Danny quickly released me and stepped away. Forbidden love with a price.

A man approached us, the face equally familiar. I hated not only that face but the man it belonged to.

“So this is what has had you acting against orders. Take care of the servant.” He said the last sentence while gesturing towards the men around him.

“Wait! Stop, please!” I tried to move toward Danny to protect him, but it was too late.

Almost instantly after the order was given, four swords stuck all the way through my beloved.

“Ka-te.” A strange expression crossed his face as he muttered my name then collapsed to the ground, lifeless.

“DANNY!” I ran to his side, reaching for his hand, looking all the while for any sign of life. None. I screamed a bloody cry that should have reached the heavens with all the emotion I packed behind it. Life didn't matter to me anymore. I might as well have died along with him. His blood was smeared heavily on the ground and now covered my hands and dress.

“I trust that you'll do as I say now.” A voice reached my ears.

I turned toward the man whom I had once shown contempt for. Now hatred filled me and if I believed it possible, I would have killed him on the spot. Promising on the blood that stained my hands, I swore that I would avenge the death of Danny by taking the life of this man who stood before me.

I'm sure that some of the hatred that burned inside of me must have been in my eyes, for the man took a step back, looking more cautious.

And then, I gave him the most demon-possessed smile I could. I unclasped my hair and ran my hands over the long black tresses, making it wet with red. True fear crossed the man's face, terror taking on a whole new meaning. Without taking my eyes off of his, I replied, adding as much pure hatred as I could.

“Of course, Father.”

I let out a low laugh, letting him know that I had accepted my fate as the princess who would murder her own father, the King.

It was just a matter of time.