Crying in the Rain

PROLOGUE

"Once upon a time," Her father began, "There was a princess. She was loved all throughout the kingdom, all throughout the world, for she was their princess and they her loyal friends."

"The kingdom was hidden to all that don't believe in magic, in kindness, in love."

The little girls father continued the bedtime story as she looked at her father in wonder. Could that be true? That there is a kingdom somewhere out there. Maybe, she could meet the princess and they would be best friends forev-

"Hide!" He father suddenly whispers. "Lucas, take her and hide!"

Her older brother picked up her small body and carried her to their secret hiding spot.

"What happening?" She asks.

"Shh," Her brother shushes her and pulls on a dent in the wall. A little hollow space in the wall was reveled and her brother sets her in, then managed to squeeze inside the small space.

"Be very quiet," He instructed her, and she was. She was quiet for 30 minutes before she heard two large booms.

Her brother wraps his arms tighter around his little 8 year old sister.

One hour later, her brother says it safe to come out. And they do. Her brother pushes on the wall and gets out. After helping her out if the cement box he cautiously makes his way down the stairs.

"Are you okay?" A police man came up to them with a yellow notepad.

"We're fine. Is my dad... Is my dad okay?" Her brother asks hesitantly.

The big man in a blue suit swallows loudly before speaking, "No. I'm afraid that he...uh..."

"He's fine right?" Her brother snaps.

"No, he's dea-" The blue suit man is cut if by her brothers shouts.

"No! He's not! He's alive! Dad! Dad where are you?!" He frantically looks around but their father was dead. He was gone and never coming back.

Her brother scoops up her frail body and carries her to their fathers small car. After setting her in the backseat then sitting in the drivers, he turns on the car and follows the ambulance to the hospital.

"L, what happen?" The little girl asked.

"Nothing." He said quickly, a bit to quickly, "Nothing happened. Go to sleep."

And she did.

~~~

"Wake up," Her older brother told his little sister, shaking her lightly. She groans before opening her big eyes. She smiles up at him, "Hi L. L, "

"Good morning beautiful," His voice cracking.

"L! What wrong?!" She asks, worry plastered on her face.

"Daddy had to go somewhere for a while. I don't know when he's coming back." He says sadly, a soft yet sad smile on his face.

"Oh, that's okay. When he gets back can he finish the bedtime story?" She asks as he picks her up.

"Yeah. He will. Don't worry."

But he didn't come back to finish that story. He never did. And he never will.