The Lost Shifter

Ashlynn sat there quietly. On the edge of her rock, the tips of her toes just inches from the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Occasionally tiny droplets of cold salt water splashed up her legs and got the edges of her rolled-up leggings wet. She loved sitting here, just round the bay from the famous Giant's Causeway, it made her think of her family over in the states. Over the pond. She had no idea why though, because they lived on the east coast, the other side of that vast continent.

Ashlynn pulled herself further up the rock and turned around. On the top of the rock sat a small, black, leather book. It had cost her a lot, that book. Well, five pounds was a lot when that was all the pocket money you got in a week. It meant everything to her though. Inside that tiny book where pictures of everything that she loved, ad little sketches of places she had been on holiday or day trips.

She picked it up gently, skimming past detailed sketches of her rock and the Giant's Causeway. Pausing at a picture that brought back memories for her, Malham Cove in the Yorkshire Dales, she sighed heavily. No matter how much she loved Ireland, she was a Yorkshire girl at heart and she missed it's rolling hills a lot. The gentle rolling hills of the emerald isle were comparitively tiny when you'd lived in the midst of the Pennines all your life.

Ashlynn finally tore herself away from her reminising, and flicked through to her most recent drawing. A sketch of a tiny tiger cub. Although the sketch was only black and white, the tone and shading gave the impression of a bright orange, the tradtional tiger. Ashlynn reached into her bag and pulled out a pencil, ready to add the finishing touches, a dark 'M' shape on the cub's forhead. This was something her little brother was very proud of, mainly because it hadn't been noticable at first. As the cub had got used to his body, the orange had grown stronger and the mark had appeared, earning him the nickname 'Tabby Cat'.

Ashlynn had to admit she was jealous of the little tiger. Her brother had first shifted two weeks ago. It wasn't fair that she still couldn't.

.......

Hi all!

if your reading this then it means you've actually taken an intrest in my story. So, i ought to let you know that i have absolutely no idea where this is going...

If you spot any mistakes, please let me know. And if you have any suggestions as to what to actually do with this story, apart from delete it, which i'm already tempted to do, then feel free to get in touch. To be fair, i'll be happy if one person reads it and says it's pants, but it's my first story and i'm quite nervous, so constructive criticism please.

i may give up halfway through and start another, much better story which i'm already planning and is nothing like this, so it's probably going to be a short one, or one that never gets finished...