the present

"Therapy is recommended at this point. We will start her with weekly sessions and put her on anti-depressants."

I look at the nurse and then back at mom.

"She can't make me go!"

"You're right, she cant-" she pauses. I start to see the tears form in her eyes.

"Mom I'm-"

"but as your mother, Harlyn I can make you go."

"Mom!"

"Harlyn, no okay stop!" Mom raises her voice and I know with one wrong move her walls will come crashing down. I also know she's right,  I have no more say in the matter.

"Okay...." I say under my breath and of course I can't leave out the eye roll.

"Hun, why don't you go home and get some rest. I'll stay here with Harlyn." These are the first words I've heard out of Dad since we got here last night. He looks at me, I answer back with a smile. Dad just shakes his head in pure disappointment. I've gotten to know that look pretty good lately, no matter how well I know it my heart still drops to my stomach.

"Mrs.Atwood, I can walk you out." say the nurse with no emotion. Mom nods in agreement as if she ahs just signed up for mime college. The nurse places a hand on Moms shoulder  and the head to the door. The nurse opens the door and the cold air from the hall comes rushing in, a chill is sent down my spine. As the door closes behind them Mom pushes her brown hair behind her ears and I see the tears start rolling down her chees. Her walls came crashing down.