Prelude

"Mmm... Lily... Lily... LILY!"

The small child covered her ears with her little hands, ink black hair falling over her face as her uncle thrashed and cried out. She always found it hard to sleep; she was afraid of the dark. Tendrils of blackness crept towards her always and she felt an unnatural draw to it.

People say the darkness "presses in," it doesn't. The darkness kisses up to your skin closer than a mother and whispers excitement into your ears. The darkness is your best friend; it's funny and glib, flattering and cool. The darkness will be your favorite thing right up until all your exits are blocked, then it has no reason to hide. Besides that, there had always been a darkness inside of her, longing to join its mass and continue its mission of destruction. For a 5 year old little girl, these were scary longings.

   "Lily... Come back to me Lily... COME BACK!"

The girl's violet eyes filled with tears that she would never let fall. She could not crack. If she did, all the walls she had worked so hard to build inside herself would come tumbling down. Instead, she curled up tightly into a ball and closed her eyes, dark lashes brushing gently against her cheek.

She did not know who Lily was. She had never asked. Never wanted to know who it had been who caused her uncle such limitless grieve. 'She must have been a Potter', she thought loathingly. All the Potters ever did was hurt people like us. After all, her uncle had told her that. She hadn't yet had the misfortune to have met one, but she was sure that her uncle had.

This 'Lily' had broken her Uncle Severus and there was nothing she could do to fix him. She was useless. The girl stopped her vengeful thoughts and pushed them down within herself, ready for another day. She could do nothing now, but she would bide her time. She was Elise Snape and when she found this 'Potter' someday, she would make him regret all his sins towards the ancient house of Snape.