Chapter 1: The Letter

Chapter 1

The Letter

The weather had been a foul one for the whole day. As of the moment, the sky was dreary and dark clouds loomed with their stomachs heavy of rain. The winds viciously scythed through the glass windows as though they were sharp blades forcing their way through a barrier. Yuki allowed the pen to slip from her fingers and watched as it rolled to a halt near a forlorn textbook. She sighed, this current atmosphere barely did anything to help lighten up the mood. It was tiring, mentally tiring, to sit there and have your old books to keep you company while time passes you by, leaving you. The girl's skin was bleached white, gone was the glow that countless days from running around in the sun gave. Her long hours holed up within this room of hers doing god knows whatever it may be prevented her from venturing out to meet the sun's rays. She could vaguely remember how warm those yellow lights were. For the first time, the girl thought her name suited her well; White as the winter's snow.

Like that girl in the fairy tale. Then; I AM NOT SNOW WHITE!! she scolded herself for thinking such a thing.

Thinking of fairy tales was definitely least of her to-do list. First, she wanted a reason to get out of this small room. Something worth waking up everyday like a part time job or so, it was summer after all, a small earning before school would surely help. If the twins could keep their hands off her savings, that is. A sigh came out of the girl's lips as she slumped onto the desk. Her thoughts had the possibility of reality but as of the moment she couldn't find a way to indeed make it happen. There wasn't a choice, a hole nor was there an opportunity for her to open and her youth was slowly slipping her by. There had to be something before!

"Yuki?" came her mother's soft spoken voice as the few knocks echoed through the door, disrupting the troubled teen's thoughts. "Dinner's ready, dear."

"Understood. I'll be coming down shortly, mom"

The light-brown haired girl stood up as soon as the footsteps faded, pocketing the stylus before heading out towards the kitchen. Upon arriving there, however, Yuki could feel suspicion creep its way towards her.

Something is not right, she thought as she seated herself.

With observant eyes, she scanned the room carefully for the cause of her discomfort. The atmosphere again with no doubt, but this time it wasn't because of the foul weather but because of the silence. The food lay there, untouched and the twins barely twitched a muscle beside her.

Odd, thought Yuki. They usually fight over the first serving.

A glance towards her father gave Yuki the confirmation of her suspicions. The stern and stone-hard gaze meant something IS up and this one matters most for her usually cheerful father to suddenly show this face. It made her shift uncomfortably and her gaze started to become unfocused, a usual trait of hers when she felt nervous. She noticed a white envelope slide her way and she stared idly at it, confusion written on her face.

A letter?... For me?

"Read it." Her father instructed.

Yuki felt hesitant, she never received letters before with the exception of those from the Student Council and the inevitable pefume-filled love letters but a letter, at this time of the year? This never happened before and if it did, it never gave such a queasy atmosphere. The girl allowed herself a few seconds for composure then with steady yet cautious hands, she complied and slowly opened it. It felt as though she were deactivating some kind of complex bomb. One wrong move and it would end all things, then and there. Slender fingers unfurled the parchment and to her surprise, it was handwritten. Yuki was quite thankful of this, for if it was written then she would be able to extract a small information about the writer from his or her pen strokes.