Chapter 1: The Race

The sun was stinging in my eyes. I was drenching wet from head to toe. I could feel the sweat forming at the start of my forehead where my dirty blonde hair was tied back neatly now a mess rolling past my brown eyes and tan skin. My legs were aching so badly as if they were run over by a car. I saw the untouched ribbon in front of me. This was it. I increased my pace and soon enough I was ripping right through it. I turned my head to the left to see a large crowd applauding for me but I wasn't looking at them. I was looking at two small figures right at the front, tears running down their faces. My parents.

I ran over to them just before the announcements were made for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

"We're so proud of you sweetheart." They cried.

"I can't believe I actually did it. I actually made it in to the finals.

"We knew you could do it."

"I've got to go now. They'll be announcing the winners soon."

"Stand tall sweetheart. Stand tall and be proud. You deserved it." Advised my dad.

"I will." I shouted back.

"3rd place," Began the announcer.

I wasn't listening. All I could think about were the finals. This would be nothing compared to the actual races in New York. All the competitors must be fully trained.

"1st place, Emily Forbes." Shouted the announcer breaking my thoughts.

I walked up to other two girls and stood up on the tallest step. A medal saying 1st place in young girls - state wide was hung around my neck. Tears started running down my face. I never could stop myself from crying during these moments. Was I blushing? Oh no this was so embarrassing. But then I remembered what dad said. Stand tall and be proud and so that's exactly what I did. After the medals had been given out the announcer started talking again and I knew exactly what he was going to say.

"These three young ladies are now officially in the finals which will be taking place in New York on the 25th of September 2015. Details will be emailed shortly." I was so excited! All this hard work has finally payed of. Only two more months to go. I walked back to the crowd only to find two empty seats where my parents were sitting. Where could they have gone? I waited for a few minutes just in case they had gone to the toilets or were talking with someone. My phone started ringing. It was mum.