1

My mother died when I was eight years old and my father had just recently entered the dating scene again nine years later. My daddy had met a so called wonderful woman and he said he loved her. I had never even met this woman and he had already proposed to her. I was supposed to meet her soon along with her sons. They had been dating for almost six months and I'm just now meeting her after a proposal. We live in a small town and no one knows much about this relationship. I tried everyone in this small little town, but no one knew. Tonight I would meet this mystery woman and find out what her motives are with my daddy.

My dad was never much of a cook, but tonight he was determined. He had out the nice china and the dining room table was set. He was grilling steak and potatoes out on the patio. I popped my head out and asked if he needed any help with prepping.

He said, "Lacey, go get ready. You can preheat the oven for the rolls and steak once you're done."

I nodded my head and went upstairs to my room. I walked into my closet and decided what to wear. I went into my bathroom and curled my chestnut hair with a half up and half down style and touched up my makeup. I put on my maroon knee-length with my fitted black leather jacket, black tights, and high heel ankle boots that were also black. I looked in the mirror and saw my complete look. I stared at my mother's locket before going downstairs.I turned on the oven putting in the rolls and walking out to the patio finding my dad finished with the steaks and potatoes.

"Did you put in the rolls, Lace?" he asked.

"Yes Dad." I said grabbing the potatoes going inside. "Go get ready, I can finish up here."

"Thanks Lace." He said kissing my cheek going upstairs. "They'll be here in one hour." He yelled from upstairs.

I checked my phone and saw three messages from my boyfriend Jake.

Jake: Hey Babe, wanna save me from this boring dinner?

Jake: Babe?

Jake: Baby please save me!

Lacey: You know I would

Jake: :)

Lacey:But I have my dad's dinner tonight. :( sorry.

Jake: fine :/

Jake and I had been dating since freshman year. His mother had also starting dating someone and he and his brother were meeting the mystery man tonight as well.

I turned down the oven and put in the steak and potatoes. I made up some salad and set it in the middle of the dining table. I cut up some celery and carrots and made an appetizer dish. The doorbell rang and I set the dish in the family room going towards the door. It was finally time to meet the mystery woman. My dad came running down the stairs.

"They're here!" he said.

I opened the door. "Hi I'm La-What the hell!"

"Lacey Carolina Cartel! Language!" my dad scolded.

I turned around and looked at him, but before I could saying anything a voice spoke. "Mom what are we doing at Lacey's house?" My dad's eyes grew in realization.

"Dad! You're engaged to Robin, Jake's mom!" I said a little ticked. Granted Jake and I's parents had never really met each other (or so we thought) we never thought they would want to date each other.

"Why don't we all go into the family room for an appetizer." My dad said.

We all walked into the family room with Robin and my dad on the loveseat and Jake and I on the couch. There was a tense silence in the room. The doorbell rang. The other son was here. Jake's brother. Let's hope he's not someone else I know. I stand up to get the door. My dad stood up as well

"No Lacey, I'll get it this time." he said walking towards.

I hear a familiar voice. Well so much for not knowing them. Why couldn't I remember who it was?

"Oh James, I'm so happy you could make it!" Robin said. James Calder? I know that name. Then it hit me. Mr. Calder, the history teacher. I forgot he was Jake's brother. Lovely. I turned my head away so he wouldn't see my face.

"Lacey?" Mr. Calder asked. Caught.

"Hi Mr. Calder." I said shyly. This could not get any worse. Actually it could. Carly could come home. That's the worse it could get. Has Dad even told her yet? If he hasn't then there's a storm coming.

Carly was my older sister who caused Dad so much trouble he sent her to boarding school. She got kicked out school here so he had sent her to boarding school. She graduated last year and now was living in the city going to college. She came home rarely because I think she is still somewhat mad at Dad for sending her off.

Everyone was sitting around in the family room having a discussion about living arrangements now. Where all of us were going to live. I hope it's here due to the fact that this is the house my mother always wanted to live in and she finally had her chance for ten years until she died. The house was huge, one of the biggest in town. SIx bedrooms, four and a half bath, upstairs, basement, attic and main floor, and all the bedrooms have walk-in closets. On the upstairs floor there's the master bedroom, which is the biggest one and it had its own bathroom. There were two other bathrooms upstair and each had two connecting bedrooms. the main floor had the kitchen, family room, living room, dining room, study, my dad' office and the small bathroom. The basement had a storm room, a living room, and bedroom, and a full bathroom.

"So David and I think it would be best if we moved into here considering it's much bigger than our small house." Robin said. I looked up. This was the best thing that had happened tonight. No moving out.

"I think we've all had enough celery carrots for tonight. Let's move into the dining room for some steak." My dad said.

"I'll go get them out of the oven." I said excusing myself heading into the kitchen. I pulled out the rolls and steak. I grabbed a serving plate from the cabinets and put the steaks on it. I felt arms wrap around my waist. Jake.

I turn around and wrap my arms round his neck. "What are we going to do?" I say looking up at his eyes.

"I don't know but we'll figure it out like we always do." he said.

"I don't want to break up, but they might make us since we will be living under the same roof." I say with concern.

"I'll move in with my dad, then." he said. "This relationship will not end. We can be like Romeo and Juliet."

"Jake, babe, they both die in the end." I say laughing walking to get the basket for the rolls. "Go on into the dining room. I'll be there in a minute."

I walk in the dining room and everyone looks somewhat happy. We could all be a family.

"Hello! I'm home! Whose car's in the driveway?" A voice shouted coming through the front door closing it. "Dad? Lacey?"

Or so I thought.