The Everyday Life of Alice

I walked down the empty school hallway right as the bell rang for the end of class. I ducked and covered into my secret hiding spot- the janitors closet. It was an old one that no one ever went into. I sat down and took out my sketch pad.

I jumped when the door opened and in fell a boy and a girl. Kissing.

They didn't even notice me. Ha. And then I screamed as loud as I possibly could. They both shot apart and yelped. The girl immediately spun around and hightailed it right out of there. "WHAT THE HELL!" The boy screamed at me.

I just sat there dumbstruck. "Well, are you going to answer me?" He asked. Well I wasn't. So ha. Shouldn't this boy know that I'm 'Alice, the girl who never speaks'? "Hello? Anyone home?" He said waving his hand in front of my face. I smacked it away.

"Well okay then miss mute. I'll just be heading out now." And he left. As soon as he did, I felt my whole body relax. I decided to just stay there since there was no point in going to class anyway. Or going home for that matter.

I sat back onto my backpack and closed my eyes. 'I'll only sleep for a few minutes...' I thought.

....

I woke up to silence and darkness. But the lights never went out in this closet during school hours. Unless.

Oh my.

I stood up, grabbed my stuff and opened the door. Only to find... More darkness. It was nighttime. School was over. "SHIT!" I yelled since no one else was around. I walked outside to my car and checked the time. 10:36. Not that late. I decided to go to my cousin Shaun's house. He was the only other person I could actually talk to.

When I got there, the inside lights were on so I just rang the doorbell. Shaun opened up the door roughly and when he saw it was me his eyes softened. He hugged me, picking me up. "Alice how have you been? And don't you dare lie to me." He said sternly. I couldn't help but chuckle at his antics.

"Really Shaun? I'm fine. I actually have quite a funny story to tell you." I said.

"Well come on then! Times a wasting!" He said ushering me inside.

"Please explain your so called funniness." He said.

I giggled and began. I told him what happened today. Starting with the boy in the closet.

When I got to the part where I fell asleep in the closet, he was already full out laughing. "ITS NOT THAT FUNNY!!" I yelled.

"Oh but it is! Ha I can't believe you! Falling asleep in the janitors closet! Priceless!" He said between fits of laughter.

"Thanks man." I said groaning. I now had a huge headache.

"I'm getting water." I said while walking away, listening to his laughter in the background. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a glass filling it with tap water. After downing the whole thing I knew exactly what I needed for a good night.

Alcohol. Perfect. Now where would someone keep the precious substance. Aha pantry. Top shelf. Looking up I saw 3 bottles of liquor. Grabbing all three I put them on the counter.

I grabbed 2 shot glasses and poured myself one before dropping my head back and sending the burning sensation down my throat. After two more I poured myself another and poured some in the other glass. I brought it out to Shaun only to find a strangely familiar face smirking back at me.

Closet boy.

....

I was silent. Shaun came out from the other room and said, "Hey Alice, I see you've met Lucas." I could tell he was nervous for having me over at the same time as one of his friends.

"Heeyy, aren't you the girl from the janitors closet?" Lucas said.

I remained silent. "She doesn't talk much," Shaun explained while looking very surprised about this new found information.

I walked back into the kitchen without a word. Shaun knew I couldn't handle people, especially in a private place that isn't school.

I grabbed my backpack from the floor and shoved the liquor in. 'For later," I thought. I headed for the back door. I could hear them playing video games in the living room. 

I snuck out as quietly as possible and took off walking towards home. I didn't feel like being the odd one out while they were busy.

I walked around for a while not wanting to go home where my parents why try to force me to talk to them. They didn't know what I was going through. No one really did. Not even me sometimes.

I just prefer to be alone.