prologue // windows

An explosion. An explosion of bright, wonderful, radiant colors that enveloped the habitually blue sky erupted as the beaming sun rose to its roost in the highest perch of the heavens. With the sun finally settled into its rightful place in the skies beyond, the girl maneuvered her way off of the pile of cars she was standing on, observing the magnificent natural beauties of the Earth. Well, that were still intact, at least.

The hauntingly familiar sound of gunshots fired off not too far from where she was standing, causing her unshakeable curiosity to be aroused. She propelled herself from the decaying rust-hued oxidized metal making up the hood of the vehicle. The hood offered sufficient stability due to the metals that were fused together. Being forced together for that long, it makes things inseparable. Almost to the point where it's irritating. Extremely irritating.

A spurt of ear-shattering gunfire ripped through the air as Marlowe approached the origin of the racket. She pranced through the thin forest barricading her from the sound. Her somewhat matted bangs stuck to her sweaty forehead as she pushed on through the forest. The girl finally shifted dense greenery from her path, requiring the aid of her serrated knife, whipping it out to silently saw away at the plants.

Her bright, luminous, nearly cyan eyes caught those of a male's stunning light cool blue ones. Duller than hers, but equally as beautiful. Hell, maybe even more breath-taking. A confusion engulfed his soul, as the girl could see through his windows. The girl being distracted by his near perfect features, she had managed to be oblivious to a deceased presence.

Marlowe rotated her body around, immediately coming face to face with just another one of the disgusting, repulsive, inhuman monsters that have inherited the Earth. She let out a strained yelp as the Z aggressively chomped its rotten jaws towards her face, craving warm crimson and the feeling of flesh between its teeth. She turned around, pinning the zombie to a nearby tree. Marlowe pried the Smith and Wesson M&P nine millimeter handgun from the rickety, virtually unreliable holster that tightly clung to her thigh. She finally gripped it tightly, her finger tugging the trigger forcefully, firing a bullet straight into the brain cavity of another Z.

"One thousand, six hundred and thirty-nine," The blonde muttered, brains of the deceased splattered onto her grimy face. It wasn't like the zombie's brains did anything to harm her, she already had a thick layer of grime, blood, and dirt caked on her surprisingly youthful face.

A growl stirred distantly, quietly. The shushed noise mixed with adrenaline pumping through her veins left Marlowe oblivious once again about the impending doom. A silent bullet whizzed past her cheek, grazing her cheekbone. With the shallow slice in her cheek, the bullet blew a hole the size of Texas in the Z's decaying head. She whipped around, seeing the teen's eyes again. She brought two fingers up to her cheek, bringing them down to observe the blood that oozed from her cheek before she sprinted off to find a way out of the death trap some people still called forests.

*windows is based off of the saying "eyes are the windows to the soul*

I PROMISE YOU ALL THAT I WILL BE UPDATING SOON!! IT'S SUMMER NOW SO I HAVE SO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS. btw there were only minor changes in the details towards the end. don't judge my self-diagnosed OCD lol