Day 1

Kate sat looking down, on her bed, at her toes. She wondered whether if she cut her nails down a bit, her shoes might be a lot more comfortable. As she thought about this, and the colour red, and how her hair was going darker again now it was winter, the snow outside was getting thicker and thicker.

Now I know, reader, that this is not the most promising of starts to an exciting, adventurous and engaging tale, but things can only get better. Or worse. Or stay the same.

A sharp and militant tap on the door broke Kate from her daze, and she jumped up to answer it. As she walked past the large, gold framed mirror in her hallway, she couldn't help but notice the sunken appearance of her eyes, as though they had been pushed into her skull as a result of too many tired nights and rubbing of eyes. She was, once again, pulled back to reality by another sharp tap, and she proceeded to open the door.

'Good morning.' said a voice. It was precise and cutting, like that of a strict teacher. 'I have come to inform you that your mother has been taken into hospital. Again.' The last word was said with disdain, as though Kate's mother's regular visits were her own fault. They weren't serious, more that she started drinking and it got...out of hand. Or she had burnt herself quite badly on something. Her accidents weren't exactly life threatening, just clumsy, and accidental. Kate was beginning to think that, as her mother suffered from severe anxiety, she had begun to feel comfortable in hospital, so subconsciously made herself a viability.

'Oh. Right. Thanks for letting me know.' Kate knew the drill. 'Would you like a cup of tea?' What a stupid question.

'No. Thank you.' The man looked as though he could not believe what Kate had asked. 'I need to get going to work.' Right. Of course he did.

'Okay. Well...I'll see you around?' Kate's words sounded hopeful.

'Perhaps Kate. I'll be abroad for the next 6 weeks so not for a while. I'll try to contact you when i return.' With that he turned sharply on his heel and briskly strode away, reached his car and stopped to buff the shine on the wing mirror. Kate slumbered back inside so she needn't have to see him leave without a wave. The man was so cold and harsh it stung her everytime they met. The man didn't have time for anyone or thing but his precious work. The man...was her Father.