Part One: Lillian MacDuff

Tears streak down my face as I watch my mom leave. I am only six, and my twin brother, Ezekiel, is being taken by her. He screams my name, and I scream his. It's a terrible feeling, to be separated from your twin. We were always together, and now my parents are taking him from me. He goes with my mother, and I stay with my dad.

The last I see of him is my mother shoving him into the car and throwing her suitcase in after him. I try to run to him, but my father holds me back by my arms. Ezekiel stares out through the window and I can see my look of fear, of veiled anger in his dark blue eyes. Our eyes.

I scream his name one more time as the car drives off, and I know he's crying mine. My father roughly pulls me into the shabby house with it's peeling paint and broken window. I continued screaming even as he locked me in my room.

I would come to hate that house. I hated it with all my heart. Especially that room. That wasn't the last time I would be locked in that room, but I figured out how to escape. I always did, no matter how many locked and boards my father put on the door. 

Without Ezekiel, I became wild, running the streets, skipping school, messing with gangs. My father tried to rein me in, my teachers warned me I would ruin my life, friends called me dangerous and insane. Why bother? Ezekiel was my life, and they took him from me. I didn't even know where he was. My mother broke all ties with my father, and in turn destroyed any communication between us.

In the end, that was what destroyed me.