Chapter One

Emma
I walked through the gates as soon as the bell went. Late. I didn't know my way round, but I just rounded a corner and knocked into some boys.

"Watch it, shortie," one said. My eyes flicked from them to a boy that was being pressed against a wall. He was ginger and his blue eyes were so piercing. They carried on like I wasn't even there. They were punching him, and calling him names and I just couldn't stand it!

"Stop it! Do you think it's funny to call people 'gay' and a 'fag'? Leave him alone! Go on, or you'll be the ones against the wall!" I threatened.

The fat one laughed and the others joined in. "Awww look it's a little grasshopper! What you gonna do about it, bitch?" He talked down to me like I was a 5 year old. I'm short, but there's no need for that!

"This." I brought my fist up and punched him across the face and then kneed him in the balls. His eyes watered and he whimpered.

"C'mon lads." His voice was very squeaky. Smiling, I helped the guy up. He was wincing in pain and there was a slight bit of blood seeping onto his school shirt.

"You alright?" Stupid question. Of course he wasn't.

"Yeah I'm fine. Don't worry, I'm used to it. Thank you."

"Don't worry about it. He deserved it. I'm Emma. Do you know your way to... room 14?"

"Oh! I have to go there! We must be in the same form. Lucky, huh? I'm Luke by the way." He guided me into the school and up the stairs, still wincing and letting out hisses of pain when he walked. We stopped off at his locker and dumped his stuff in it before walking the rest of the way to form.

Luke pushed the door open with a slight swagger. "Late again Cutforth," a man with a droning voice sighed.

"You know how I like to be fashionable sir." Luke smiled, slipping into a seat next to a boy with brown-blonde hair and ear stretchers.

"You must be... Emma, right?" The teacher looked me up and down, clearly judging me for my short purple hair and the badges that lined the lapels of my blazer. "Here's your locker key. It's just down the corridor, I'm sure you'll find it."

A girl with brown hair put up her hand. "Sir, shall I help her find it?"

"Go along then Wallis, hurry up." She walked up to me and guided me out of the classroom.

"I hate Mr Donners. He's so fucking boring! Mind you, he just got a divorce so he's slightly depressed as well." She muttered.

"Oh. He did seem kinda... boring and shit to be honest."

"I like your hair by the way. It's so awesome! I used to have red hair but I got bored, so I went back to natural. I had lip piercings as well but I had to have those removed. School rules. I'm surprised Patty can keep his ear stretchers!"

"Thanks! I'm Emma."

"I'm Cherry. Don't ask about why I'm Cherry, I just am. By the way, here's your locker." She kicked the bottom locker with her foot.

"Don't worry, I think it's a cool name!" I shoved my stuff in my locker and got my pencil case out.

"Do you want to sit next to me?" She offered.

"Sure! I'd love to get to know you better!" I sat in the seat next to her, tapping my fingers on the table. "Do they honestly expect me to know my way round already?"I muttered, looking over my timetable.

"You have basically the same lessons as me! Except I have art and you have woodwork by the looks of it. Me and Luke will look after you, don't worry."